The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Closely Guarded (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/7506-closely-guarded.html)

firedoc Sun Feb 16, 2003 06:49pm

I recently worked a JV game at a very expensive private schoolwhich plays in the local HS league. Home team player A1 was holding the ball for such a long time that I had to call it. Whistle...5 second closely guarded. A father in the stands, well dressed in suit/tie was brutal on me regarding the call. Of course I ignored him. A few minutes later I was handling a throw-in from the sideline right in front of this father. He politely asked me "what is a 5 second closely guarded call?" I said "are you telling me that you have no idea about the rule, yet you were killing me about the call?" He sheepishly said yes. I told him that I would be happy to explain the rule after the game. He did come up afterwards and I explained it to him. He apologized (to his credit) and we both went about our business. I should have told him to be as verbalin the apology as he was in the complaining but decided to leave well enough alone.

Mike Burns Sun Feb 16, 2003 08:16pm

How about that! Finally, a fan that wants to UNDERSTAND what it is that they are complaining about. :)

I am impressed that Mr. Johnny's Dad was interested enough to allow you to explain the rule to him.

mick Sun Feb 16, 2003 10:55pm

Huh ?

Quote:

Originally posted by firedoc
I should have told him to be as<font color = red> verbalin </font>the apology as he was in the complaining but decided to leave well enough alone.
Doc,
Is that a word or a typo ?
mick

williebfree Sun Feb 16, 2003 11:06pm

I presume

it was meant to be "verbal in"...

That makse sense then.

mick Sun Feb 16, 2003 11:20pm

Re: I presume

Quote:

Originally posted by williebfree

That makse sense then.

Thanks, williebfree.
I should have seen that, but in my excitement of seeing a new word, I totally kicked the easy call.
m'bad
mick

Jurassic Referee Sun Feb 16, 2003 11:20pm

Re: I presume

Quote:

That makse sense then.

Willie,is "makse" a word or a typo? :D

Adam Sun Feb 16, 2003 11:20pm

Verbalin sounds like a medication designed to help fans and coaches keep their mouths shut. Seems appropriate here.

mick Sun Feb 16, 2003 11:22pm

Re: Re: I presume

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

That makse sense then.

Willie,is "makse" a word or a typo? :D

A gut tries to help ans what does he gey?

mick Sun Feb 16, 2003 11:27pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Snaqwells
Verbalin sounds like a medication designed to help fans and coaches keep their mouths shut. Seems appropriate here.
I thought maybe....
You left-handed too? :)

Adam Sun Feb 16, 2003 11:53pm

Nope, but I always wanted to be left-handed. Now I'm left with feeling good about passing, shooting, and dribbling with my left hand.

Jurassic Referee Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:02am

Quote:

Nope, but I always wanted to be left-handed. Now I'm left with feeling good about passing, shooting, and dribbling with my left hand.
Did ya ever hear about somebody that had left-handed balls?

Memory like an elephant,mick! :D

mick Mon Feb 17, 2003 08:26am

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Did ya ever hear about somebody that had left-handed balls?

Memory like an elephant,mick! :D

Well, then, Mr. Mammoth Memory, remember this.
I was only had right-handed balls. ;)