The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 12, 2003, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Just tuned in to find Bill Walton and some other "agreeable" clown (play-by-play announcer) once again demonstrate their rules ignorance.
(I should know better than to be watching this, but.... I am )

Dallas @ Milw, 2:01 left in 2nd Qtr.

Ray Allen intitiates a drive on Steve Nash. As Allan in passing Nash. Nash throws his leg out and trips Allen and the official (Joe Forte) calls a Charge. The other official is indicating a block.

Forte stands strong on his call and then T's Allen for his objections.

Here is what REALLY burns me:
Walton is babbling on how great a call Forte has made as ESPN goes to commercial.

After the commercial, Aldridge (sideline reporter) acknowledges that Forte's call was not as solid as Walton has "sold it".

Walton just gets louder with his praise for Forte.

I need to stop watching this thing they call basketball (NBA), and realize it is strictly entertainment.
Old Wed Feb 12, 2003, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

You just need to stop listening to Walton. His view of the game is "HORRIBLE!! TERRIBLE!!"

This is the guy who says if you're down 1 at the end of the half, sit on the ball and go in behind on purpose, so you can come out with incentive in the 2nd half.

Oh, to be Steve "Snapper" Jones in the old days...just wait for Walton to say something completely stupid, and jump all over him for having no common sense.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I agree with Trigger. You're not going to learn much rules-wise by watching the NBA, but there is still some good basketball to be found. I love to watch Dallas (even tho I'm a Celtics fan), and I love to watch Kevin Garnett.

But you have to ignore Walton. I also ignore Marv Albert. If you watch the Celtics, you have to ignore Tommy Heinsohn. They are ignorant and/or mere cheerleaders.

Also officiating with the NBA rules makes watching the games a lot more interesting.

Chuck
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

I'm gonna duck and cover to protect myself from the attacks afterwards, but I kinda like Walton -- in small doses. I like hearing him talk about Wooden, and he's not afraid to voice his views (I get tired of the plain vanilla), sure, they're stupid sometimes, but they are often interesting. The rules, fuhgetabadit, but on post play (hey, I'm a slow tall guy) he can be insightful. And everytime I start finding Walton tedious, I just think, thank god it's not Vitale . . .
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by hawkk
I'm gonna duck and cover to protect myself from the attacks afterwards, but I kinda like Walton -- in small doses. I like hearing him talk about Wooden, and he's not afraid to voice his views (I get tired of the plain vanilla), sure, they're stupid sometimes, but they are often interesting. The rules, fuhgetabadit, but on post play (hey, I'm a slow tall guy) he can be insightful. And everytime I start finding Walton tedious, I just think, thank god it's not Vitale . . .
I agree with you on Walton, I like him a lot. He has a unique personality and he leaves me thinking that he's just amazed to be getting paid to do what he does. But what I admire is he has been able to overcome an incredible stuttering problem, he could not string 2 words together when he was younger.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

I would much rather listen to Walton than watch the garbage they try to pass off as basketball. It bears the same resemblence to real basketball as the WWE bears to high school wrestling.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jake80
I would much rather listen to Walton than watch the garbage they try to pass off as basketball. It bears the same resemblence to real basketball as the WWE bears to high school wrestling.
I think that we all know that there is an entertainment factor at work in the NBA. And the NBA is not my favorite level of play - I think the college game has a much better flow and I enjoy the team play. But this is a ludicrous comparison. Pro ball is still the same basic game as HS and college - pro wrstling is not at all related to its namesakes. NBA ball is played by the best players on this planet. Every night you see some things that can't be done by anybody at any other level of the game.

Sure, it is actually slower and choppier at times, even with the 24 sec. clock. But NBA is a players game, and those guys can flat out play.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Hawks Coach. It also depends on which teams are playing. Some of the NBA teams have great flow in their offenses. The rule change to permit zones, looser switching, and doubling off the ball has, IMHO, forced teams to run more team related offenses -- the rules no longer permit the offense to set up with two players on one side for two on two games. Nonetheless, I still prefer college ball for a whole lot of reasons.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Cool I agree with hawks Coach

The BEST are in the NBA. I liked the old rules allowing the two man game. It showed who could actually play ball.
Everyone knew what was coming, the good part was, can you stop it!

I really don't listen too closely to Walton. However, he gets my respect because he was a Hooper and when healthy, could flat out play.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

I was living in Detroit while they made a four-year killing off that high pick and roll. Conference finals, then three staight NBA finals, 2 rings. Every 4th quarter, you knew what the last 4 minutes would bring, but could you stop it? For most teams in that period, the answer was no.

And many teams now might want to pull out that old game film cause 3/4s of all NBA teams can't execute consistently down the stretch, which is one of the keys to winning at that level. Watch a lower level team play for three consecutive nights and try to figure out what they think they are doing. With a good team, watch them twice and you know it.
Old Fri Feb 14, 2003, 03:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
I was living in Detroit while they made a four-year killing off that high pick and roll. Conference finals, then three staight NBA finals, 2 rings.
If I remember correctly, one of those rings was won over Portland, wasn't it? And hey, has anyone noticed that Portland is actually winning some this year? Not to toot the horn too loudly, but it is kind of nice to see the sweet side of 50%, for a change. And a lot of it has been WITHOUT RASHEED WALLACE!! He was out for seven games, and they won five of them. If that doesn't shut him up, nothing will!!
Old Fri Feb 14, 2003, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Pistons won three straight in Portland that year, including an 8-0 run in the last two minutes of game 5 to clinch the series. Portland was another team that could score in bunches, but suffered down the stretch when defense got tight.

Blazers are playing better this year, at least per the results I am seeing. Just watch the last 5 minutes of every game if you want to assess their playoff chances. If they have a clear gameplan and execute, they can go far.
Old Fri Feb 14, 2003, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
And hey, has anyone noticed that Portland is actually winning some this year?
Yeah, but the Celts beat 'em last night! Boston lit it up in the first quarter and then put it on cruise control. I thought they were going to give it all back.

Quote:
If that doesn't shut him up, nothing will!!
Nothing will, Juules, nothing will.

Chuck