The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Intentional or not? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/7461-intentional-not.html)

RookieDude Thu Feb 13, 2003 02:32pm

Quote:

Originally posted by mick
Quote:

Originally posted by RookieDude
[QUOTE
Of course I mumbled something about it being one I could have passed on...I asked my partner and he said he probably wouldn't have called it.

Dude,
You were obviously aware the defenders would try to foul.
Likewise, you were obviously aware of the line between intentional and purposeful.
You obviously sensed the "tone" of unfriendly fouls.
You knew the score and the time.
You had all the information and made your call in a blink.
You were there.
You reacted.
Finis. ;)
mick

mick...you are truly a poet, and your poem is music to my ears. ;)

Dude
P.S. Great point about using the word "excessive" to describe an intentional foul by Chuck and rainmaker. Thanks!
(Now if I can just spit out a three syllable word in the heat of battle) :D

rainmaker Fri Feb 14, 2003 03:40am

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Two posters in this thread have talked about how they called common fouls when the shooter was fouled. These are not common fouls. A common foul is a personal foul that is neither intentional nor flagrant nor committed against a player in the act of shooting.
Okay, I'm one of them, I'll bite the bait. What IS a foul called that is committed against a player in the act of shooting?

canuckrefguy Fri Feb 14, 2003 03:49am

The only one I can see under Rule 4, Section 26 (NCAA) that a foul against the shooter could be classified under is "Personal Foul", which is defined as:

"...a foul committed by a player that involves illegal contact with an opponent while the ball is live."

So, somebody explain to me why we need a definition of "Common Foul"

bob jenkins Fri Feb 14, 2003 08:39am

Quote:

Originally posted by canuckrefguy
The only one I can see under Rule 4, Section 26 (NCAA) that a foul against the shooter could be classified under is "Personal Foul", which is defined as:

"...a foul committed by a player that involves illegal contact with an opponent while the ball is live."

So, somebody explain to me why we need a definition of "Common Foul"

So we know when to shoot the bonus.

som44 Fri Feb 14, 2003 05:21pm

I've struggled with the intentioanl foul endo of game situation also--seems like we need to address this rule again esp. since it was a POE a year ago but still seldom called

mick Fri Feb 14, 2003 05:48pm

Quote:

Originally posted by som44
I've struggled with the intentioanl foul endo of game situation also--seems like we need to address this rule again esp. since it was a POE a year ago but still seldom called
som44,
Yes, it's unpopular on one side of the gym, but don't pass on it when you know what has to be done.
Start visualiizng the play and you stop struggling with the call.
I stuck a lad two weeks ago.
mick