The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Order of Free Throws (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/74375-order-free-throws.html)

The_Rookie Sun Jul 10, 2011 09:53pm

Order of Free Throws

Quick Question:

Player commits a foul that results in a one plus one. Before the free throws he jaws with an opposing player and I whack him for unsporting behavior.

What is the order of free throw admin.

1) one plus one

2) Two shot Tech

Logic: The order in which they occured

Thanks

justacoach Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 771686)
Quick Question:

Player commits a foul that results in a one plus one. Before the free throws he jaws with an opposing player and I whack him for unsporting behavior.

1) one plus one

2) Two shot Tech

Thanks

Do you own a NFHS Rules Book?

Your logic is confirmed at:
2010-2011 Fed Rules Book "Basketball Rules Fundamentals", page 71 #12

Full procedure as follows:

Have 2 fouls added to offending team's foul total, add personal and T to offending player's individual foul total

Clear the lane and direct all players save the shooter behind the 3pt line and FT line extended.

Fouled player shoots FT(s) for personal foul
Any team member(s) may shoot FTs for TF, even bench player(s)
If a sub is called from bench to shoot FT(s), player(s) they subbed for may not re-enter game til next dead ball. Shooter(s) coming from bench need not stay in game after shooting FT(s)
Administer throw-in to fouled team at division line opposite the table

Freddy Mon Jul 11, 2011 03:49am

Real Close, but the Cigar is Slightly Lacking

Quote:

Originally Posted by justacoach (Post 771687)
If a sub is called from bench to shoot FT(s), player(s) they subbed for may not re-enter game til next dead ball.

:confused:

If paraphrased from the rule, that should read "may not re-enter the game until time has run off the clock", or something similar. (cf. 3-3-4: A player who has been replaced . . . shall not re-enter before the next opportunity to substitute after the clock has been started properly following his/her replacement.)

"Must sit a tick, but doesn't have to play a tick," as one wiser than I stated here.

There can be a difference between "after the clock has been started properly" and "the next dead ball."

Other than that, the orderliness of the order of free throws seems quite orderly. :)

mbyron Mon Jul 11, 2011 06:45am

Quote:

Quick Question:

1) one plus one

2) Two shot Tech

Logic: The order in which they occurred

Thanks

Also, remember that if the T is the team's 10th foul, you're still shooting 1-and-1, not double bonus, for the common foul. I dinged a varsity crew last year for exactly this error.

BillyMac Mon Jul 11, 2011 06:48am

Rule Of Thumb ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 771717)
"Must sit a tick, but doesn't have to play a tick,"

This works 99.9% of the time. Watch out for circumstances where there is a possibility of playing with less than five players.

bob jenkins Mon Jul 11, 2011 07:06am

Quote:

Quick Question:

1) one plus one

2) Two shot Tech

Thanks

As others have said, that's correct if you're using FED rules.

In NCAA, it would be the other way around.

tref Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 771738)

Unless of course, it's a single flagrant technical foul or a single contact dead ball technical foul. (NCAA-M)

bob jenkins Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 771780)
Unless of course, it's a single flagrant technical foul or a single contact dead ball technical foul. (NCAA-M)

But it wasn't, in the OP.

tref Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 771784)
But it wasn't, in the OP.

True.

The OP didnt state what code we were using either... I was just telling the whole story in regards to NCAA-M technical fouls.

BktBallRef Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 771785)
True.

The OP didnt state what code we were using either... I was just telling the whole story in regards to NCAA-M technical fouls.

We pretty much assume all questions to be NFHS unless otherwise indicated.

tref Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 771794)
We pretty much assume all questions to be NFHS unless otherwise indicated.

Agreed, just clarifying the following:

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 771780)

mbyron Mon Jul 11, 2011 01:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 771798)
Agreed, just clarifying the following:

No, you weren't clarifying, you were changing the case. For the two types of fouls in the OP, Bob gave the correct answer.

He wasn't trying to explain all the subtleties of technical fouls in NCAAM, he was answering the OP based on a different rule set. Your response was a non sequitur that did not advance the conversation.

Huntin' Ref Sun Nov 18, 2012 08:14pm

Quote:

Bob, I am working a D2 NCAA-M game as the U2 this weekend and cannot find this in the rule/case books. Can you site it for me so I can make sense of this? I know you are correct, but I can't seem to find it in the book. Thanks in advance!!!

Raymond Sun Nov 18, 2012 09:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huntin' Ref (Post 862653)
Bob, I am working a D2 NCAA-M game as the U2 this weekend and cannot find this in the rule/case books. Can you site it for me so I can make sense of this? I know you are correct, but I can't seem to find it in the book. Thanks in advance!!!

I don't feel like scanning through the rule book for a citation but it's pretty basic. Shoot the free throws for the T then resume at the POI, which would be the 1 + 1.

Working a D2 game you should know that.

bob jenkins Mon Nov 19, 2012 08:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huntin' Ref (Post 862653)

4-53, especially 1e and 2c