The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Inadvertent horn :( (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/7386-inadvertent-horn.html)

BigDave Sat Feb 08, 2003 12:45pm

During a FT, the ball bounces off the rim. As it is coming down, the horn sounds. White catches the ball. At this point, all players stop playing and look at us. I blow my whistle to stop play.

Who gets the ball and where?

BktBallRef Sat Feb 08, 2003 12:51pm

Give the ball to white. The horn does not stop play in this sitch.

Jurassic Referee Sat Feb 08, 2003 01:03pm

Use Casebook play 2.11.10SitC as a guide.As BBR said,White would then get the ball.

refjef40 Sat Feb 08, 2003 02:04pm

Just a question because I handled this different.I just looked at white and said quietly keep going and he passed the ball and we went on.Was I wrong?

firedoc Sat Feb 08, 2003 04:06pm

I would not let them "play on" after the inadvertant horn. Some of the players would undoubtedly stop their activity giving the team with the ball an unfair advantage. Stop the play with a whistle and give the ball out of bounds at a spot nearest the ball's position to white since white had possession when the horn sounded. If the horn had sounded while the ball was loose, then the AP arrow would be the way to go.

som44 Sat Feb 08, 2003 05:36pm

i agree though it is nice to let them play on it may put one team at an advantage based upon the inadvertent hori plow whistle stop play and throw in

volleyballrocks Sat Feb 08, 2003 05:41pm

What do you do when the shotclock horn goes off, it is not a violation (b/c ball did not go in & possesion changes), but all the players stop? Same thing, or play on?

som44 Sat Feb 08, 2003 05:50pm

never thought of that since up here in New Hampshire no high school shot clock--i think in that situation though you would have to play on -not inadvertent

canuckrefguy Sat Feb 08, 2003 07:58pm

play on

refjef40 Sun Feb 09, 2003 10:39am

Since I work in Cal. with shot clock we are used to the horn going off at the end of a legal shot.That is why I didn't stop play after the horn plus it was right under team A basket so they had along way to go.

dblref Sun Feb 09, 2003 02:20pm

Quote:

Originally posted by refjef40
Since I work in Cal. with shot clock we are used to the horn going off at the end of a legal shot.That is why I didn't stop play after the horn plus it was right under team A basket so they had along way to go.
What part of CA? I officiate in VA but I have been in the Monterey area for 2-3 weeks of every month since July '02. I have only worked 1 game + a clock this entire season -- might have made enough to pay my dues/insurance. Should be finished in Monterey on 14 Feb. Been watching quite a few games in this area. Some pretty good officials (black female the other night was outstanding), and saw a few "oh, my God, what was s/he watching?" officials also. I know, it is easier to officiate from "the stands". Just some observations.

dhodges007 Mon Feb 10, 2003 11:59am

Quote:

Originally posted by volleyballrocks
What do you do when the shotclock horn goes off, it is not a violation (b/c ball did not go in & possesion changes), but all the players stop? Same thing, or play on?
This weekend twice in NC2A games they stopped the play and once they let them play on. I think it depends on the situation whether you stop or play.

Hawks Coach Mon Feb 10, 2003 06:35pm

Quote:

Originally posted by refjef40
Just a question because I handled this different.I just looked at white and said quietly keep going and he passed the ball and we went on.Was I wrong?
I wouldn't question your saying play on, but I do question the quietly part. Share that information with everyone on the court if you are going to say it at all. To do otherwise advantages the team with the ball.

MN BB Ref Tue Feb 11, 2003 09:58am

Newspaper story about this same subject

This same incident occurred here during a NCAA D3 basketball game. Here is the newspaper account of the aftermath:

The Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference apologized Monday for a blown call that cost Carleton an overtime loss against St. Olaf.

Officials waved off Scott Christensen's 30-foot shot after an inadvertent shot-clock buzzer, allowing the visiting Oles to edge the Knights 71-69 on Feb. 1.

Christensen's shot was disallowed even though none of the three officials blew the play dead.

"It has been determined that the officials working the contest erred in disallowing a three-point field goal for Carleton College," MIAC executive director Carlyle Carter said in a statement to Carleton.

Carter said it was unfortunate NCAA basketball rules do not permit altering the outcome of contests upon certification by the officials.

"It is extremely regrettable that our officials did not interpret the rules covering the situation accurately," Carter wrote.

"I offer our apologies from the conference to Carleton College."

JLK Tue Feb 11, 2003 01:42pm

Almost the same situation regarding a horn going off happened to me this weekend at a youth tournament. Visitors are down by 1 with 1.9 seconds remaining. I hand the ball to the player for the throw-in. Just as he released the ball, the horn for the next court over sounds. All players stop but the ball ends up in the hands of a home player. I blow play dead, confer with partner and table. We decide to put 1.9 seconds back on the clock and have visitors have the throw-in again.

Well, sure enough, visitors score to win by 1. Needless to say, the home coaches are very upset by this. I explained to them that did the replay seeing as everyone had stopped (it was just a lucky bounce of the ball that it ended up in the hands of a home player) due to the horn.

As I thought about it later, I was wondering 2 things:

1. Was it correct to do the replay?
2. If it was correct to do the replay, should we have left what ever time was showing on the clock @ the time whistle was blown (in this case, time remaining showed about 0.8) or was putting original time back on ok?

Thanks, input is greatly appreciated.