The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Pedometer/Distance Tracking Device (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/73696-pedometer-distance-tracking-device.html)

whistleone Thu Jun 30, 2011 03:44pm

Pedometer/Distance Tracking Device

Have any of you worn a pedometer or other distance tracking device while officiating to determine how far you've run/traveled during a game?

Here's an article on soccer referees that got me thinking about this topic:
World Cup referees outrun players - CNN.com

grunewar Thu Jun 30, 2011 03:56pm

I know you'll get some replies, but, if you're really into some additional info, use the Search option and type in "pedometer" and search the "basketball" forum. Lots of data and info there.

BillyMac Thu Jun 30, 2011 04:42pm

Individual Results May Vary ...

I've done the pedometer thing several times over the past few seasons. Two person games. Boys varsity games. Averaged about three miles per game.

Note: If I remember correctly, they once put a pedometer on Celtic great John Havlicek, and he ran at least five miles in a game.

26 Year Gap Thu Jun 30, 2011 05:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 769694)
I've done the pedometer thing several times over the past few seasons. Two person games. Boys varsity games. Averaged about three miles per game.

Note: If I remember correctly, they once put a pedometer on Celtic great John Havlicek, and he ran at least five miles in a game.

Which, if you factor in the length of the game, and assume that he played all 48 minutes, is about 3.35 miles for a 32 minute game.

Brick43 Thu Jun 30, 2011 06:15pm

I put a pedometer in my pocket and use it as my possession arrow. I am not sure if in the pocket is as accurate as the shoe but it works great for those tournaments where the refs keep track of the arrow.

tomegun Thu Jun 30, 2011 09:47pm

I used to have a fitbit. It is small enough and black so nobody notices it unless you take it off to look at it. When the base is connected to your computer it will download your information when you are close.

The reason why I used to have it is because I accidentally washed it. a few days in a bowl of rice did nothing. I learned enough about my daily steps that I don't need one right now.

ref2coach Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:06am

For me, preseason for soccer consists of 1hr 45min workouts 3 times a week. When working as Center Referee in a soccer match will result in 5.5 to 7.5 miles per game. When working basketball I have never had a game that resulted in more than 2 miles. Since Basketball follows Soccer I never have to do any preseason training for Basketball. In TN we also have a spring soccer season for the Boys. I have to start training again the last ~5 weeks of Basketball to be adequately prepared for Soccer. Basketball, for me is just not adequate to prepare for a soccer season.