The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 06, 2003, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay R
Rather than getting in to the details of this thread, I'll just make one comment. I grew up playing hockey where it is widely accepted that the ref puts away the whistle in the third period. I never liked that idea and I believe that basketball is better off because the refs will make calls late in the game.
I know I would feel d#mn silly if I called "icing" in the 4th quarter of the basketball game. That would be one reason I would "hold my whistle."
Old Thu Feb 06, 2003, 12:49am
We don't rent pigs

Taking it one step farther

In an 8th grade boys game early this year, the following happened: Tie game Team A inbounds the ball in the backcourt with 4.5 seconds left. B puts on a little pressure, does a good job of it and just about runs it out.
A heaves a long pass downcourt where A1 steps out to meet it about the 3 point line. A1 catches the ball just as he is plastered by B1. I whistle the foul. The clock stops on 00:00 and we hear just a hint of the buzzer. A1 steps to the line with the lane cleared, hits the first shot, game is over. B coach throws a minor screaming fit, at his player, not at me. "What were you doing even close to him???!!!" A1 had absolutely 0% chance to catch and then get off a shot. According to the logic expressed here, do I pass on this call? This was certainly a definitive case of the defender bailing the offense out. Do we judge what is a silly play and penalize the offense by ignoring it.
What if the player had lost the clock and made this 70 heave with 6 seconds left. The foul deflects the ball but the heavers teammate scoops it up and lays it in. Now who got penalized? You see a foul, you call a foul, the timer keeps the time.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Feb 06, 2003, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
There's more than 1 engineer here.
I always wanted to be an engineer,too.Lemme see-so far we got:

Dan
Downtown Tony Brown
Mark T. DeNucci Sr.

Any other engineers here? [/B]
I are a en-gineer and I are proud uv it!

BTW, I see from the length of their posts that both Downtown & MTD suffer from engineer's disease. [/B][/QUOTE]I am also an engineer, but they never let me drive the train!