The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 05, 2003, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
Talking

I would say I agree, but I usually gt beat up when I say something like that!!!!
Old Wed Feb 05, 2003, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fletch_irwin_m
But I do agree that giving him 3 shots is not appropriate. This guy just pivoted cocked the arm back and then was "Sacked" by the Inside line backer, I mean the opposing player. In my judgement, had he taken a dribble to clear or tried the release with two hands or the "running" one hander I would have given him the 3 shots. With his other team mates screaming for the ball and no clear attempt to do anything other then heave the ball there is no shot, regardless of time.
He cocked the arm back? And that wasn't a foul in the act of shooting? I'm scratching my head. Three shots.
Old Wed Feb 05, 2003, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

PC
We looked at it this way, there are 4 players from his team screaming for the ball. The quickest way to get them the ball is to cock the arm back. That motion is NOT a standard shooting motion. It is more commonly used as a baseball PASS motion. Further, the player would be shooting a 1 and 1 which would have given them the OT possibility. The .9 issue only came into play with regards to the time and the foul, which as I said was obvious. No consideration was given to the fact that it "had" to be a shot. We are not in the mind reading business. There are many times that the quarter/half/game expires with a team NOT knowing the time and NOT getting a shot off.
On a "what if" scenario. Had the ball been under their basket and there was .3 seconds left and they were trying for a tap, THEN it would have had to been a shot and thus the FT. Not the case in this game.
Old Wed Feb 05, 2003, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

I was wondering about #1.
If the teams start the wrong direction from the begining of the game and the error is recognized, score remains the same and you switch ends.
If both teams run the correct direction except wrong way charlie and his defender, then I have the foul, no shot, and ball OOB. If everyone ran the wrong way, the referee is fired!
Old Wed Feb 05, 2003, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tharbert
I was wondering about #1.
If the teams start the wrong direction from the begining of the game and the error is recognized, score remains the same and you switch ends.
If both teams run the correct direction except wrong way charlie and his defender, then I have the foul, no shot, and ball OOB. If everyone ran the wrong way, the referee is fired!
The teams were faced the right direction, the "tipper" back tipped it and his team mate kept going in that direction. He went up for the "shot" and was fouled. I called the foul and gave the ball to his team on the end line going the proper direction. No shots awarded because no shot was "legally" attempted. UNLESS he was going for the "off the opponents back board, through the rafters bank into our goal" horse shot!! LOL
Old Wed Feb 05, 2003, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fletch_irwin_m
...UNLESS he was going for the "off the opponents back board, through the rafters bank into our goal" horse shot!! LOL
(shoulders shrugging, dumbfounded look) WHAT? You have not seen that shot attempted before?

BTW: I would have the same call on the "break-away" non-shooting lay-up.