The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 13, 2000, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust:
In this case, the timer made no error. The clock was started as instructed by Official-1 (O1) and stopped as instructed by Official-2 (O2). Since no error was made, no time can be added.
[This message has been edited by Camron Rust (edited June 12, 2000).]

While no individual error has been made, I believe there is an 'error' in the overall situation. Assuming the timer is watching the administering official, you will have quite a bit of lag - the official seeing the ball being touched, the official chopping his/her hand, the timer seeing the hand drop, the timer pushing the start button - the clock is probably started at least .5 seconds late. A similar situation occurs when the clock stops (see OOB, blow whistle, hear whistle, make sure it is a whistle, push stop button).

In this situation, A2 will be legally inbounds at the time of A1's throw-in. Let us assume that we had a computer that was the perfect timer. Going by the intent of the rules, the clock would start the instant the ball was touched (not on the signal), and stop exactly when a violation occured (not on the whistle).

A1 releases the ball, so the clock is "armed." When A2 touches the ball, the clock starts. When A2 touches OOB, the clock stops. However, these two events occur at the same time, so no time runs off the clock.

That's why the timer and R1 and R2 made no mistakes, but the spirit of the rules were not followed.
Old Thu Jun 15, 2000, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

I have to agree with Camron. However i believe i would reduce it to a one second off the clock for the lag time. I think both coaches would accept the official has knowledge of time when he whistled.
Old Wed Jun 28, 2000, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Question

As for a second player being OOB during a spot-throw-in, I would assume some intent must come into play. I could easily see A2 running v-cuts and everything else trying to lose B2. I don't plan to blow my whistle when the edge of his foot touches the sideline before the ball is thrown.

As for the clock, despite that no one errored while we lost 1 second, and w/o the rulebook in hand, do we not have a situation where the REFEREE has knowledge.... It seems that the Umpire(s) are without authority for this situation to put time back on the clock, but the R certainly can.

Mark?
Old Wed Jun 28, 2000, 07:39pm
certified Hot Mom tester

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Richard Ogg:
[B]
As for the clock, despite that no one errored while we lost 1 second, and w/o the rulebook in hand, do we not have a situation where the REFEREE has knowledge.... It seems that the Umpire(s) are without authority for this situation to put time back on the clock, but the R certainly can.[B]
The referee has the authority to correct obvious timing mistakes. I'm not sure there was an obvious "mistake" here.

[This message has been edited by Mark Padgett (edited June 29, 2000).]
Old Wed Jun 28, 2000, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

No time should be put back on the clock. Both referees did what they were supposed to do and the timer did his/her job. Will it make one of the coachs mad, probably, but no timing error was made. frank