The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Hey ref I found your glasses! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/7286-hey-ref-i-found-your-glasses.html)

refjef40 Sat Feb 01, 2003 10:24pm

Just something I thought was funny last night during the girls Var.game I worked.Some male students had their faces painted in school colors and were wearing some capes and other wierd things and were trying to fire up the crowd.There were about seven of them and they all had shirts on that said Hey ref I found your glasses!and there was a picture of a big nose with glasses on them.They never got disrespectful so I thought it was pretty funny.Does anyone think I was wrong and maybe would go to game management or something?

mick Sat Feb 01, 2003 10:35pm

Quote:

Originally posted by refjef40
Just something I thought was funny last night during the girls Var.game I worked.Some male students had their faces painted in school colors and were wearing some capes and other wierd things and were trying to fire up the crowd.There were about seven of them and they all had shirts on that said Hey ref I found your glasses!and there was a picture of a big nose with glasses on them.They never got disrespectful so I thought it was pretty funny.Does anyone think I was wrong and maybe would go to game management or something?
I'd take the ball for a throw-in in front of them, and make it a point to say, "Love your shirts."

williebfree Sat Feb 01, 2003 10:36pm

Depending on the situation....

I might have went over and ask them. "Where are my glasses? :D

Tim Roden Sat Feb 01, 2003 11:04pm

The first time I wore contacts for a game, I did make a comment to the coach saying that I wasn't wearing my glasses tonight so don't expect me to see all the calls.

Mark Padgett Sun Feb 02, 2003 12:10am

Next time, make sure you have lots of throwins right next to them. Then, be sure to blow your whistle really loud - right in their ears.

Then ask them if they found your hearing aid, too.

Back In The Saddle Sun Feb 02, 2003 12:52am

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Next time, make sure you have lots of throwins right next to them. Then, be sure to blow your whistle really loud - right in their ears.

Then ask them if they found your hearing aid, too.

LOL, I've had two players this year comment that my Fox 40 hurts their ears. Funny, I didn't think teenage boys heard anything :D

Mark Dexter Sun Feb 02, 2003 02:53pm

On a throw-in (or preferably timeout right by them):

Squint and look at them.

"Very colorful, girls - what does it say on your shirts?"

-or-

At halftime, come out wearing a pair of "Groucho Marx" glasses. (Hopefully) everyone will have a good laugh.

refjef40 Sun Feb 02, 2003 03:25pm

Yea Padgett mentioned wearing contacts which made me laugh.Before I wore contacts they yelled get new glasses now they yell get glasses.I did say one thing to those boys because they kept yelling 10 seconds when the girls were in the backcourt for awhile.I finally turned on a inbound and said there is no ten seconds in girls bb.One of them said oh there should be and that was the last thing I heard from them.

Mark Padgett Sun Feb 02, 2003 03:49pm

Quote:

Originally posted by refjef40
Yea Padgett mentioned wearing contacts which made me laugh.
I never mentioned anything about contacts. Maybe you should put yours in. ;)

refjef40 Sun Feb 02, 2003 03:57pm

Sorry that was Tim Roden!See another example of officials not seeing.

CK Mon Feb 03, 2003 12:24pm

Just to clarify, under NF rules is that a State adoption for no 10 second violation in girls basketball?

Thanks
CK

bob jenkins Mon Feb 03, 2003 02:16pm

Quote:

Originally posted by CK
Just to clarify, under NF rules is that a State adoption for no 10 second violation in girls basketball?

Thanks
CK

Yes, but it's fairly standard where the shot-clock is used (following NCAAW rules).

Hawks Coach Mon Feb 03, 2003 02:32pm

I coach girls ball, but I'll be damned if I can explain the wacky rules in women's NCAA, which we frequently use for our games. Those are some odd provisions - 30 second clock, no 10 sec b/c, and 5 sec closely guarded anywhere on the court (but only when holding the ball?!). The only thing stranger is the alignment for FTs. Guess their rules committee wants to earn whatever income they get from that job, or maybe to pad the hours so they get more income.

CK Mon Feb 03, 2003 10:19pm

Thanks Bob and Hawks Coach, in Missouri, we play Girls JV and V the same as Boys, except the other night the table insisted on playing a girls JV at 7 min quarters, this is NOT a state adoption. Not worth arguing over!!!

Thank You
CK