The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Need a short to the point Pre-Game for two knuckle head teams (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/7284-need-short-point-pre-game-two-knuckle-head-teams.html)

Woodee Sat Feb 01, 2003 09:20pm

Intramural League

Play-offs begin next week. I have two games with teams that are very difficult. Both are unsporting, and question all calls.

What is a very short, to the point, ATTENTION GETTING Captains/Coaches Pre-Game.

In previous games Techs were needed to calm them down. I don't want to be a main factor in the outcome of the games, so I'm looking for a good warning.

How about this: I'm not taking any of your sh!t tonight, Good Luck?

mick Sat Feb 01, 2003 09:31pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Woodee

This is a game.
Sportsmanship will be required, tonight.
Expect no warnings.

Woodee Sat Feb 01, 2003 09:38pm

Quote:

Originally posted by mick
Quote:

This is a game.
Expect no warnings.

Mick,

I was kidding. Thanks, I like that!

williebfree Sat Feb 01, 2003 09:39pm

Quote:

This is a game.
Expect no warnings.

Mick

Sounds like you have previously had to deal with a "game" like the one Woodee is anticipating. :D

I "second" Mick's suggestion. All in favor say, "Aye" ;)

Woodee Sat Feb 01, 2003 09:53pm

Do we have to give a delay of game warning?

Here are 2 things these teams do:

1. While shooting the first of two FTs, A1 misses the first shot and B-5 grabs the ball and what I thought looked liked he was drying the ball on his shirt he goes down and rubs the ball on his private part. What would you do? This probably deserves a T. I was caught off guard.

2. B-1 is called for a foul, when I ask A-1 for the ball, to show his resentment or I don't like you Ref side, he immediately lets the ball go and roll on the floor. (?)

I'm sure you guys are thinking get away from that type (Intramural) of ball.

Mike Burns Sat Feb 01, 2003 10:35pm

Quote:

1. While shooting the first of two FTs, A1 misses the first shot and B-5 grabs the ball and what I thought looked liked he was drying the ball on his shirt he goes down and rubs the ball on his private part. What would you do? This probably deserves a T. I was caught off guard.

2. B-1 is called for a foul, when I ask A-1 for the ball, to show his resentment or I don't like you Ref side, he immediately lets the ball go and roll on the floor. (?)

Well I can see how #1 would catch you off guard. I would issue a delay of game warning, next time they delay by preventing the ball from being made live promptly or from being put in play, it's a tech.

#2 is a tech every time for me. First of all by rule, failure by the player in control, to immediately pass the ball to the nearer official is a technical foul. More to the point, I will not allow a player to "show up" my partners or me in this manner. You asked for the ball and he lets the ball go and roll on the floor to show his resentment, or I don't like you Ref side...WHACK!

IMHO, this is not controlling the OUTCOME of the game, it is controlling the game.

mick Sat Feb 01, 2003 10:40pm

Quote:

That's Jr. High ball.
You, or your partner, whoever is off-ball, take a run by and remind the player that the ball should go to an official.

Woodee Sat Feb 01, 2003 10:55pm

Quote:

Quote:

That's Jr. High ball.
You, or your partner, whoever is off-ball, take a run by and remind the player that the ball should go to an official.

Mick,
Its one of those, tweet, "ball, ball" he drops the ball to the floor and gives that what are you going to do look.
This is the STAR player that does this.

mick Sat Feb 01, 2003 11:04pm

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That's Jr. High ball.

Mick,
Its one of those, tweet, "ball, ball" he drops the ball to the floor and gives that what are you going to do look.
This is the STAR player that does this.

Woodee,
It's important to not let that guy know your are aggravated.
So, as I implied, just "matter-of-factly" <b>tell him</b> to get the ball to an official, without making a deal about it.
Don't demand. Don't warn him. Just say it, without emotion or explanation.
If it happens again, and I think it will not, it's an easy "T" (with no emotion or explanation).
mick

ChuckElias Sun Feb 02, 2003 12:37pm

Quote:

While shooting the first of two FTs, A1 misses the first shot and B-5 grabs the ball and what I thought looked liked he was drying the ball on his shirt he goes down and rubs the ball on his private part.
Nothing wrong with this. He's just making sure that all the officials have proper positioning. Right, Dan??? :D

Chuck

Woodee Sun Feb 02, 2003 01:13pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

While shooting the first of two FTs, A1 misses the first shot and B-5 grabs the ball and what I thought looked liked he was drying the ball on his shirt he goes down and rubs the ball on his private part.
Nothing wrong with this. He's just making sure that all the officials have proper positioning. Right, Dan??? :D

Chuck

Chuck,

My positioning is always where the pretty girl is!! (Ha, Ha)

DrakeM Mon Feb 03, 2003 06:37am

I've had a couple "rivalry" games this year.
My pre-game has started with, "Keep your emotions in check"
To the coaches, I ask them to emphasize sportsmanship with their teams, because we will punish any unsportsmanlike act we see. NO WARNING!
"Play hard and put the ball in the basket, and have fun!"

dhodges007 Mon Feb 03, 2003 11:41pm

Quote:

Whack 'em in both situations. The second one happened to my partner in a HS boys game. End of half and my partner asks for the ball and he chucks it down to the other side of the court. Whack.

Woodee Tue Feb 04, 2003 11:58pm

Thanks !!! It worked

Mick,

I use your Pre-Game and had NO problems. I placed responsibility on the Captains and Coaches. They were quick to intervene when it seemed tuff! NO Ts given in both games!!

Rich Wed Feb 05, 2003 12:04am

My ideal pregame:
------------------
Red. Blue. Be good.

Good luck.
------------------

Fercryinout loud, after wondering out loud since the 1980s why people tell basketball players about the boundary line, I actually had one of the visiting captains ask me about the out of bounds line last week. In boys' varsity no less.

Rich