The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   OT - Favorite basketball movie (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/72448-ot-favorite-basketball-movie.html)

Mark Padgett Wed Jun 15, 2011 01:51pm

OT - Favorite basketball movie

Since it's the off season (except that I have two "end of school tournament" HS games today), I thought we might share the titles of our favorite basketball movies. Mine is "Tall Story". Made in 1960, it's the story of a star college player (Anthony Perkins) whose team is scheduled to play the national Russian team which is on tour. Jane Fonda, in her first movie ever, plays a co-ed who came to college to find a husband and has chosen Perkins. Some gamblers approach Perkins to try to get him to throw the game and he considers it, since he needs the money to get married. Gary Lockwood plays the Russian star and they play each other in the match. It's really a funny movie and, of course, Fonda is an incredible babe, especially at this early age.

Oh yeah, one of the basketball players is Robert Redford!

There's one scene in which Perkins is looking at a trailer for sale by another student (for him and Fonda to live in) and he comments that the shower stall is quite small. The seller tells him that he and his wife frequently take showers together and "sometimes we even turn the water on". :D

Here's a link to the imdb description of the film.

Tall Story (1960) - IMDb

bainsey Wed Jun 15, 2011 02:27pm

Coach Carter: A story where one man demanded more from his players, when their respective support systems -- including their own school -- failed them.

rockyroad Wed Jun 15, 2011 02:54pm

"The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh" from 1979..."Set Shot" Buford is my hero. First acting role for Julius Erving.

Judtech Wed Jun 15, 2011 05:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 765835)
"The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh" from 1979..."Set Shot" Buford is my hero. First acting role for Julius Erving.

Great movie. Also, overlooked is Fast Break with Gabe Caplin and a YOUNG Lawrence Fishburne.
One on One with Bobby Benson (All the way with a red hot poker)
Amazing Grace and Chuck. Sort of political but hey Alex English!
Hoop Dreams. B/c as I have stated before my alma mater gets a BRIEF cameo!
White Men Can't Jump - Well because I cant!
Forget Paris - My mother in law reminds me of Billy Crystals Father in Law!
..and who DOESNT like Hoosiers?!?!
Does Grown Ups count? I mean the DID win a City Championship!!

Mark Padgett Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:42pm

OK - it's not a basketball movie, but "The Temp" was shot here in Portland (1993) and in the movie, there was a school basketball game. What's the connection? My brother-in-law, Jim, was a P.E. teacher at the school where the game was shot and he played a referee in the movie as an extra. He didn't receive any screen credit, however. Oh yeah, he called an over-the back and a couple of reaches. ;)

MD Longhorn Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 765835)
"the fish that saved pittsburgh" from 1979..."set shot" buford is my hero. First acting role for julius erving.

+1

Corndog89 Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:59am

"The Basketball Diaries". Very dark and depressing, but an excellent movie. One of maybe 3-4 movies that I thought Leonardo DiCaprio was actually good in.

Freddy Thu Jun 16, 2011 01:35pm

Even the Movie Title is Officiating-Oriented

Stripes, which featured the scene of that eager, budding pre-military candidate shooting hoops against the wall in his apartment right before he throws the ball out the window and the guy on the street throws it back inside through the other window.
And don't ever call me Frances.

twocentsworth Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:11pm

i'll second "The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh" nomination....

how 'bout "Semi-Pro" starring Will Ferrell?.....

JugglingReferee Fri Jun 17, 2011 07:12pm

Baseketball

NoFussRef Sat Jun 18, 2011 08:27am

WOW... Nobody????

Not one of you mentioned "HOOSIERS", Gene Hackman etc... Great flick.

"4 passes, 4 passes before we shoot!"

ODJ Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corndog89 (Post 765984)
"The Basketball Diaries". Very dark and depressing, but an excellent movie. One of maybe 3-4 movies that I thought Leonardo DiCaprio was actually good in.

Movie wasn't great, but the book is AWESOME!!

ODJ Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:49pm

Inside Moves.
David Morse runs a bar after knee injury, beats Perry Sylvester (also of FastBreak) in pick-up game, gets chance to play for Warriors.
John Savage is in it too. Barry Levinson directed.

Judtech Sun Jun 19, 2011 06:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoFussRef (Post 766493)
Not one of you mentioned "HOOSIERS", Gene Hackman etc... Great flick.

"4 passes, 4 passes before we shoot!"

Might wanna re read my post....