Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 02, 2003, 02:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stan
Quote:
Originally posted by BigJoe
When a team is out of time outs in a close ballgame I convey the time out totals to my partner as well so he would know not to grant the TO as well.
I may be taking you to literally here but 5-8-3 says nothing about not granting a TO if requested. It's just going to cost him more. As a courtesy,I do try to make sure that the coaches know their standing with TO's during the game.

Stan
its not neccessarily a bad idea to do so, but what if you tell him he only has 1 left (even though the table told you that) and he has none??? guess whos gonna take the rap for that one... US. well,im an avid fan in not telling a coach how many timeouts he has because its not our job. Its his job to keep track.
Old Sun Feb 02, 2003, 02:43am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Josh Ovens
[/B]
well,im an avid fan in not telling a coach how many timeouts he has because its not our job. Its his job to keep track. [/B][/QUOTE]The only time that it is our job to notify a team and its coach of the TO situation is when that team has used it's last TO and now has none left.Then,it is our duty to tell them. Rule 2-11-6.Until then,our only obligation is to decide whether to grant their TO request or not.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Feb 2nd, 2003 at 01:45 AM]
Old Sun Feb 02, 2003, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

OK...I'll be different.
I saw the Coach signaling me...I knew what he was trying to communicate...I knew it wasn't for a time-out...I tell my partner what happened...we take this time to notify the scorer's table that we have a warning for delay of game on the team who's player touched the ball after a made basket.

The flow of the game continues and away we go.
Maybe when you get a chance...advise the Coach,
"Coach, you got away with one...watch your hand signals."

Dude
Old Sun Feb 02, 2003, 09:17am
In Memoriam

Call the Time-out.

The only time a coach should discuss a technical foul is during a dead ball... and that should generally be a one-way discussion with him talking to himself.
Old Sun Feb 02, 2003, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree that the coach made a "bone-head play" here. But, if I had told the bench that they were out of time outs and they acknowledged it, I may have been less likely to grant the time out just with a signal. Just something to throw into the discussion. When a team is out of time outs in a close ballgame I convey the time out totals to my partner as well so he would know not to grant the TO as well. But I agree with the rest, once you grant the time out it is granted. You can't take it back.
I'm with big joe. This could have been avoided with some preventive officiating. Knowing the TO situation and conveying the information to your partner(s) is important to game management.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Call the Time-out.

The only time a coach should discuss a technical foul is during a dead ball... and that should generally be a one-way discussion with him talking to himself.
I agree!

My two sense!
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MOFFICIAL
Quote:
I agree that the coach made a "bone-head play" here. But, if I had told the bench that they were out of time outs and they acknowledged it, I may have been less likely to grant the time out just with a signal. Just something to throw into the discussion. When a team is out of time outs in a close ballgame I convey the time out totals to my partner as well so he would know not to grant the TO as well. But I agree with the rest, once you grant the time out it is granted. You can't take it back.
I'm with big joe. This could have been avoided with some preventive officiating. Knowing the TO situation and conveying the information to your partner(s) is important to game management.
i agree, but were not mind readers, we cant tell what hes thinking (time out or technical foul) i mean its almost a universal signal for time out. so... when a coach is going off and we give him the STOP sign , does that mean for him to give us a high 5???just by telling him he has no time outs or telling your partner doesnt change the fact he wanted that T called on that particular player. it doesnt have a bearing towards the play. he just did soemthign stupid, and paid the price for it.