The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Shot attempt or not (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/7218-shot-attempt-not.html)

Jake80 Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:52pm

Had this situation last night and not sure if I got it right. A1 receives a pass at the free throw line. As he is about to attempt the shot, B1 jumps to contest the shot. Ball is released by A1 (couldn't really tell if voluntary or it slipped). Ball goes up in air a couple of feet and is not touched by B1. A1 takes a step and recovers the ball in the air. I called a travel, now I'm not so sure. What do others think constitutes a legimate try for goal? Do you look at things like the distance the ball travels or just try to interpret the player's intentions.

Josh Ovens Wed Jan 29, 2003 01:14pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jake80
Had this situation last night and not sure if I got it right. A1 receives a pass at the free throw line. As he is about to attempt the shot, B1 jumps to contest the shot. Ball is released by A1 (couldn't really tell if voluntary or it slipped). Ball goes up in air a couple of feet and is not touched by B1. A1 takes a step and recovers the ball in the air. I called a travel, now I'm not so sure. What do others think constitutes a legimate try for goal? Do you look at things like the distance the ball travels or just try to interpret the player's intentions.
if im not mistaken, if he attempts a shot, after a shot, there is no player control and he can go get it. but if it looks like a pass to you, then you have a travel. a guy can shoot an airball and still go and get it.

cmckenna Wed Jan 29, 2003 01:14pm

This is judgement on your part... if you feel it was a legimate shot attempt then you would not have a travel call... As Josh stated.. team and player control ends on a shot attempt...

ReadyToRef Wed Jan 29, 2003 01:31pm

I have nothing. If, the ball slips, as you said, then A1 has the right to recover it. This has been a point of emphasis in our association here in GA.

Josh Ovens Wed Jan 29, 2003 02:01pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ReadyToRef
I have nothing. If, the ball slips, as you said, then A1 has the right to recover it. This has been a point of emphasis in our association here in GA.
you could probably almost get a double dribble out of the play possibly. if that guy was dribbling then picked up his dribble, then fumbled, he can go get it provided he doesnt drible again, unless another player on the court touches it. I always say," you can fumble dribble fumble, but not dribble fumble dribble."

crew Wed Jan 29, 2003 03:10pm

i would consider this a "muff" and allow the player to regain the ball but not to dribble(if it slipped out of hand). if it was a legit shot attempt let him recover and dribble.

ChuckElias Wed Jan 29, 2003 03:52pm

I'm with tony (crew) all the way on this one.