The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

A1 has ball in hand for 1st of 2-shot FT, A2 fouls B1. What do we do?
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Rule 4, SECTION 19 FOUL
ART. 7 . . . Double fouls:
a. A double personal foul is a situation in which two opponents commit personal fouls against each other at approximately the same time.
ART. 8 . . . A false double foul is a situation in which there are fouls by both teams, the second of which occurs before the clock is started following the first, and such that at least one of the attributes of a double foul is absent.

Summary of Penalties for All Fouls
7. In case of a false double foul or a false multiple foul, each foul carries its own penalty.

4.19.8 SITUATION B: B1 holds A1, whose team is in the bonus. A1 is successful in both free-throw attempts. While B1 is making the throw-in from behind the end line, A1 pushes B2. Team B is or is not in the bonus situation. Ruling: If Team B is in the bonus, B2 is either awarded a one-and-one and the ball remains in play if either free-throw attempt touches the basket ring but is not successful, or is awarded two free throws and the ball remains in play if the second is unsuccessful. If the last free-throw attempt by B2 is successful, Team A shall put the ball in play from out of bounds anywhere along the end line by B’s basket. If Team B is not in the bonus, it is awarded the ball for a throw-in from a designated spot out of bounds nearest to where the foul occurred. Penalties are administered in the order in which the fouls occurred. (7-5-5)

Enforce in the order that they occurred. A is still shooting FTs. Lane will be cleared. Now is B in bonus? If so, they will shoot either 1 and 1 or 2, with players on the lane. Otherwise, they get ball on endline.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Bart,
It is pretty early in the day for a question like that! I have been officiating for 10 years and have never seen a foul called on a player on a lane space other than on a rebound.
That said, A2 didn't violate any free throw provisions by fouling B1 so we have to clear the lane and shoot the two foul shots. If B was in the bonus, we would fill the lane at the other end of the floor and shoot the free throw(s). If not in the bonus it would be a throw in on the endline for B after the free throws by A1.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Angry

Man Hawks Coach you are fast. You even quote the rules. I did pretty good just off the top of my head. Maybe I'll have a good game tonight!
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 11:10am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
A1 has ball in hand for 1st of 2-shot FT, A2 fouls B1. What do we do?
First I have to judge:
  • Intentional Technical
  • Flagrant Technical
  • Did I really see it?
    Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 11:13am
    In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
    Originally posted by Hawks Coach

Enforce in the order that they occurred.
    Women, not High School.
    Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 11:22am
    Official Forum Member

Good options, mick. A2 and B1 are hip to hip and A2 gives the little hip check to B1, causing B1 to enter the lane. I was the L and the only one to notice. Team B is down by 20+ points.
    Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 11:47am
    Official Forum Member

So i guess we are looking at a false double? I had one early in the season, back in November. Only we had a live ball foul and a dead ball T. We shot the T and then the FT's for the live ball foul. I guess i will have to go back and study the rule again.
    Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 12:07pm
    In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
    So i guess we are looking at a false double? I had one early in the season, back in November. Only we had a live ball foul and a dead ball T. We shot the T and then the FT's for the live ball foul. I guess i will have to go back and study the rule again.
    I concur, Bart.
    A false double works.
    Administer the technical at the other end, and then go to POI for A1's two throws.
    mick
    Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 12:12pm
    Official Forum Member

What about that arm overlapping (mine over yours crap) that they kids are learning from the NBA. When they are setting up after the ball delivered to shooter.

Seing more and more of it.

Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 12:16pm
    In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
    Originally posted by Ref Daddy

What about that arm overlapping (mine over yours crap) that they kids are learning from the NBA. When they are setting up after the ball delivered to shooter.

Seing more and more of it.

"Hey, you two!" ---> gone.
    Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 12:23pm
    Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
    Quote:
    Originally posted by BigJoe
    A2 didn't violate any free throw provisions by fouling B1
    How can you foul somebody without first violating by leaving (or at least extending beyond) the confines your lane space?

Chuck
    Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 02:07pm
    Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
    Lightbulb No T on this play

For those saying shoot the T first....WHAT T???

Since A1 had the ball when the foul occurred, it would not be an automatic dead ball contact technical. This would be treated the same way as a foul on a throw in after the ball has been given to the player to inbound the ball.

Clear the lane, let A1 shoot hers, then either shoot on the other end with players on the lane or give the ball to B on the endline backcourt for a throw-in. If A1 makes the 2nd free throw, does B have the right to run the end line?
    Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 02:16pm
    In Memoriam

Re: No T on this play

Quote:
    Originally posted by bigwhistle
    For those saying shoot the T first....WHAT T???

Since A1 had the ball when the foul occurred, it would not be an automatic dead ball contact technical. This would be treated the same way as a foul on a throw in after the ball has been given to the player to inbound the ball.

Clear the lane, let A1 shoot hers, then either shoot on the other end with players on the lane or give the ball to B on the endline backcourt for a throw-in. If A1 makes the 2nd free throw, does B have the right to run the end line?
    Look at 4-26-12. A.R. 21 is loosely related.
    Do you have another reference?
    Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 02:18pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    BIG WHISTLE:

The people talking about a T are refering to Bart's expanded case listed above, not the original post.