The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   "No Shot "Mechanic (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/7203-no-shot-mechanic.html)

Troward Tue Jan 28, 2003 04:17pm

NFHS: When a foul occurs "on the floor" and the throw is in going to be at a designated spot I have been instructed to waive off the shot and make the foul call at the scene, designate the spot, and to not say "on the floor".

I'm curious what is the mechanic for waiving off the shot?
I've seen vetrans keep the fist up and waive with the other hand and I've seen a two handed signal like safe in baseball, among other variations.

Also I've observed an official who keeps his fist up (for the foul signal) the whole trot to the table for until he gets to the reporting area as opposed to signaly the type of foul at the spot.

What do you do?

thanks
GTW

baldy1 Tue Jan 28, 2003 04:30pm

Good question, you probably get many answers on this one, but I will give you what I do. I hold one arm in the air to signal the foul, with the other arm I am waving off the shot. I say "no shot no shot" point to the spot and say the color of the team taking it out ("Blue foul red out of bounds"). This is to make sure my partners know that I have a foul and where we are going to inbounds the ball. Then I drop my arm trot to the table and report the foul.

MN 3 Sport Ref Tue Jan 28, 2003 05:18pm

Waving off a shot is a mechanic IMO that can be preformed diferently depending upon the degree in which you need to sell the call. I have used the mechanic (FED) of simply waving once w/ my non fist/clock stopping hand and then dogging the offender, giving preliminary, pointing to spot, all the way to stepping a few feet beyond the players and emphatically waving the shot off a couple of times with both arms as well as verbalizing loudly "before the shot or no shot". Sometimes in a critical sitch such as late in atight game or to end the quarter this call needs to be sold to players coaches and fans.

just another ref Tue Jan 28, 2003 10:39pm

I developed the habit a long time ago of saying no shot immediately after the whistle, even though some say it is unnecessary and/or inappropriate. My idea(not original, but I forget who I picked it up from) is that you say "No shot" immediately so nobody can accuse you of seeing it go in and then waving it off.

BktBallRef Wed Jan 29, 2003 01:13am

Quote:

Originally posted by just another ref
.... is that you say "No shot" immediately so nobody can accuse you of seeing it go in and then waving it off.
I've never had anyone accuse me of that. Is it a problem where you live? :)

I've heard officials say this. Problem is that get into the habit so badly, that they say it even when no shot is taken. Doesn't sound very good. And seriously, I've never had anyone accuse me of waving a basket off, just because it went in.

dhodges007 Wed Jan 29, 2003 07:54am

Quote:

Originally posted by Troward
NFHS: When a foul occurs "on the floor" and the throw is in going to be at a designated spot I have been instructed to waive off the shot and make the foul call at the scene, designate the spot, and to not say "on the floor".

I'm curious what is the mechanic for waiving off the shot?
I've seen vetrans keep the fist up and waive with the other hand and I've seen a two handed signal like safe in baseball, among other variations.

Also I've observed an official who keeps his fist up (for the foul signal) the whole trot to the table for until he gets to the reporting area as opposed to signaly the type of foul at the spot.

What do you do?

thanks
GTW

1. Foul

2. No shot and waive with both arms (safe motion)

3. (to my partner) on the baseline

4. Report to table, no basket, blue 43, push.

just another ref Thu Jan 30, 2003 01:44am

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:

Originally posted by just another ref
.... is that you say "No shot" immediately so nobody can accuse you of seeing it go in and then waving it off.
I've never had anyone accuse me of that. Is it a problem where you live? :)

I've heard officials say this. Problem is that get into the habit so badly, that they say it even when no shot is taken. Doesn't sound very good. And seriously, I've never had anyone accuse me of waving a basket off, just because it went in.

People will automatically yell, "Aw, man......." if not something a lot worse, when you wave off a shot that rips the net. Doesn't matter if the shot is a full second after the buzzer, if the shooter took 3 steps first, or if the shooter is standing with both feet out of bounds. I find that these people are easier to reason with if they get the bad news first, rather than following what they thought was good news. True I do sometimes yell "No shot!" and then look to find the player holding the ball on his hip, not even having comtemplated a shot, but I figure if this is the worst I screw up, I can live with it.