The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   game management (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/7202-game-management.html)

Troward Tue Jan 28, 2003 04:10pm

NFHS: subvarsity game this past weekend and I'm trying to use some of the game management "tips" I gotten from the board and veterans.

ie: the coach was constantly chirping for over the back calls, so I made a statement in passing him " I hear you coach, I'll look for it." seemed to appease him temporarilly.

Later I called a travel on his team, and the coach gave me the "call it both ways" so I tried out the line: "What did you see on that play coach?" to which he obniouxsly yelled "What have YOU been seeing this whole game?"

I have him a "Tech" but I felt like my "game management techniques" wound up baiting him into the situation instead of defusing it.

obviously you had to be there to get the full picture including delivery tones, but any suggestions on these techniques?

thanks again
GTW

Dan_ref Tue Jan 28, 2003 04:39pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Troward
NFHS: subvarsity game this past weekend and I'm trying to use some of the game management "tips" I gotten from the board and veterans.

ie: the coach was constantly chirping for over the back calls, so I made a statement in passing him " I hear you coach, I'll look for it." seemed to appease him temporarilly.

Later I called a travel on his team, and the coach gave me the "call it both ways" so I tried out the line: "What did you see on that play coach?" to which he obniouxsly yelled "What have YOU been seeing this whole game?"

I have him a "Tech" but I felt like my "game management techniques" wound up baiting him into the situation instead of defusing it.

obviously you had to be there to get the full picture including delivery tones, but any suggestions on these techniques?

thanks again
GTW

"Call it both ways" is coach-speak for "What the heck, my opponent has been doing that all game and you've been letting it go!" Proper response might have been to repeat the "I hear ya coach, I'll be lookin for it" line. BTW, don't worry about "baiting" the coach on the T. Some coaches at the subvarsity level don't understand how to play this game yet. He'll learn!

whistleone Tue Jan 28, 2003 04:46pm

I always like "If you want me to call it both ways, I've got to start somewhere..."

Going with that, if he's chirping for you to call it both ways and you do start calling it, I'd make sure he gets the same call in his favor shortly thereafter.

williebfree Tue Jan 28, 2003 05:43pm

"Call it both ways" is coach-speak for ....

"I don't have a clue how to coach my players and I need to find a scapegoat."

My attitude about statements like “call it both ways” is..."When a coach is chipping at the officials s/he has given up on their players' ability to win. S/he has given them an excuse to accept losing before the game has ended."

If it is incessant whining about a call, I am more direct. (Universal "stop sign"), "Coach, I have heard enough. Focus on your players." Then you have to “T” the coach if they chirp any more.

zebraman Tue Jan 28, 2003 06:18pm

When a coach is getting frustrated and being a horse's ***, sometimes the best game management techniques in the world aren't going to prevent a T. You gave him some rope and he hung himself with it. His fault, not yours.

Z

DownTownTonyBrown Tue Jan 28, 2003 06:28pm

Sometimes they think getting a T is a motivational impetus for better play.... a new focus.... those SOB referees are picking on us. We'll show them by scoring more points and playing harder.

Good idea. You should have done that before you got the T.

canuckrefguy Tue Jan 28, 2003 07:18pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Troward

I'd have thrown up the "stop sign" after "call it both ways", because that's when he's beyond acceptable chatter. That also removes the "baiting" issue. If you stop-sign him and he still won't quit, WHACK-A-RAMA

On another thread a couple weeks ago, one of you folks had a great line:

"Call it both ways = Call it MY WAY"

[Edited by canuckrefguy on Jan 28th, 2003 at 06:21 PM]

rainmaker Wed Jan 29, 2003 01:22am

I'm working on coach management, too, and here's what my mentor has talked to me about that seems to be working better for me this year: I'm talking earlier in the game. First complaint, let him know you hear him. Say, "thank you" or nod or something. Second complaint make eye contact, at least, maybe a few word explanation such as, "it was on the arm coach" "she didn't have legal guarding position". We're talking first five minutes here, for the really vocal coaches.

If they're saying things like "Shes travelling, that's a travel, why don't you call that travel?" I'm shaking my head, but focusing on the play. This seems to help a lot if it's early on. I'm getting a lot better at being calm myself, and this helps too.

And the admitting-you're-wrong thing is tough to get started on, but it really works. We blew one royal tonight, and I said, "Coach, we should have given you shots on that foul, but we didn't and we can't correct it now. We can't do anything to make up for it, we just plain blew it and I'm sorry. But don't worry, we won't go unscathed, the varsity officials are seeing the whole thing so we'll hear about it later on." I wouldn't always add that last part, but it really helped a lot in this case. Also helped that his team came back and won.

When they're chipping away about one thing, this has worked for me a few times: "Coach, if I call it at that end, I'll be calling it at the other end, too." I did this in December, and the coach said, "Okay, fine, that's what I want. We aren't travelling as much as they are." my partner and I made good eye contact, and called six good travels in thirty seconds: four on his girls, two at the other end. he couldn't complain at all they were very, very obvious. (Fortunately) Didn't hear another word the whole game. Also, quit calling so many travels.

What did you see on that play? is a reasonable thing to say, and I think I'd have T'd him if he responded as you say. But next time maybe some earlier talking will prevent this situation. Maybe. But, maybe not. I've still T'd a couple coaches this year, and may still pop one more, depending. But I'm throwing a lot less T's than I used to and that's because (I think) I'm talking earlier.

[Edited by rainmaker on Jan 29th, 2003 at 12:25 AM]

dhodges007 Wed Jan 29, 2003 07:54am

When he said call it both ways, I usually give them a look like that is a stupid thing to say and walk away from his bench. I usually ignore this comment unless it continues. Or sometimes I just say OK in a friendly voice. Then walk away. Cause now that can't mumble under their breath to talk to me, now they have to yell or come to me on the court. Then it is an obvious T to everyone.