The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 26, 2003, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

How many FT's do we shoot when A1 is intentionally fouled in the act of shooting and the ball goes in? I am at the office and do not have rule books with me. Thanks for your help here on SUPER SUNDAY.

Old Sun Jan 26, 2003, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

I don't have my rule book here either. but It's two shots
Old Sun Jan 26, 2003, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
An intentional foul is always two shots, regardless of the outcome of a shot. Also remember that the offended team then gets possession at the spot nearest to where the foul happened.
Old Sun Jan 26, 2003, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the reassurance. I was second guessing myself. Was on a crew in a college game a couple of years ago where we only administered one FT. Thought I remembered looking that one up and knowing we were wrong that day. I guess being alone in the office on a Sunday has a way of shooting ones self confidence......need to get a life huh?
Old Sun Jan 26, 2003, 02:39pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally posted by firedoc
An intentional foul is always two shots, regardless of the outcome of a shot. Also remember that the offended team then gets possession at the spot nearest to where the foul happened.
The only exception is if the foul is in the act of shooting a 3, if the shot is unsuccessful, it's 3 shots plus possesion.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 26, 2003, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
An intentional foul is always two shots
Don't forget to give 3 shots for a missed 3pt attempt (otherwise, players would simply foul on every 3 point shot).

Of course, if the ball then goes in, count the three and award 2 free throws.
Old Sun Jan 26, 2003, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
An intentional foul is always two shots
Don't forget to give 3 shots for a missed 3pt attempt (otherwise, players would simply foul on every 3 point shot).

Of course, if the ball then goes in, count the three and award 2 free throws.

Intentional foul sitch's are found in NF casebook 4.19.3 FYI. All above discussion is oulined exactly there.
Old Mon Jan 27, 2003, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Quote:
Originally posted by Buckley11
Thanks for the reassurance. I was second guessing myself. Was on a crew in a college game a couple of years ago where we only administered one FT. Thought I remembered looking that one up and knowing we were wrong that day. I guess being alone in the office on a Sunday has a way of shooting ones self confidence......need to get a life huh?
I can't remember which one, but there is a limit of maximum points in either the NBA or NC2A for one play. I believe it is in the NBA.

My two sense!
Old Mon Jan 27, 2003, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dhodges007
Quote:
Originally posted by Buckley11
I can't remember which one, but there is a limit of maximum points in either the NBA or NC2A for one play. I believe it is in the NBA.
That's the NBA
Old Mon Jan 27, 2003, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by hawkk
Quote:
Originally posted by dhodges007
That's the NBA
Yup. A team can only score 1 point more than the basket that was scored/awarded on a play. So if A1 shoots a lay-up which goes in, and B2 fouls A2 during the shot (jockeying for rebound position), then A2 will shoot 1 FT(to complete the "3-point play"), regardless of whether Team A is in the bonus. Team A may not receive 2 shots for the bonus, nor may they be awarded the ball.

If the field goal had been a 3-pointer, the same procedure is followed. Only 1 FT for A2.

Chuck