The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Rule Clarification -- Technical FT's (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/7170-rule-clarification-technical-fts.html)

Indy_Ref Sun Jan 26, 2003 11:48pm

I've read...and RE-read...both the casebook & the rules book about a designated FT'er and can't decide what is the proper ruling. Here is the sitch:

Technical FT's, coach designates A1 to shoot. A1 misses first shot. Coach jumps off bench and wants A2 to shoot the next one. It didn't seem logical to me that A2 could shoot the second FT, and before I could "guess" and make a final ruling on the second FT, A1 pleaded with coach and said he'd make the second shot. I turned to coach and say, "Come on coach, give him a chance. He said he'd make it!" Coach laughs, looks at me and says, "Ok, but you look that one up after the game!"

I discussed this after the game with 2 other referees. We even got out our rule books & casebooks!! After reading through BOTH several times, we could not come up with THE FINAL CORRECT ANSWER!! HELP!!

By the way, he MISSED the second one too!!

BktBallRef Mon Jan 27, 2003 12:14am

That's a pretty easy one

The coach was correct.

8-3
The free throws awarded because of a technical foul <B>may be attempted by any player of the offended team, including an eligible substitute or designated starter.</b> The coach or captain shall designate the free thrower(s).

Back In The Saddle Mon Jan 27, 2003 12:31am

Quote:

Originally posted by Indy_Ref
Technical FT's, coach designates A1 to shoot. A1 misses first shot. Coach jumps off bench and wants A2 to shoot the next one.
From the NF casebook 8.2: (the relevant bit is at the end, so bear with me) Situation: A1 is unable to attempt either of the two free throws awarded because A1 was injured during the play. A6 enters, replaces A1, and attempts the first free throw. A7 reports and enters to replace A6. Ruling: A7 must return to the bench and A6 remains in the game to attempt the second free throw. Since A6 replaced A1, A6 must shoot both free throws, unless A6 is injured or disqualified before attempting the second free throw. If this situation involved technical foul free throws, A7 would be allowed to enter and attempt the second free throw. (emphasis added)

That sounds, to me, like the situation you described.

bob jenkins Mon Jan 27, 2003 10:02am

FED: Different players can attempt the throws.

NCAA: The same player must attempt both throws.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Jan 27, 2003 02:21pm

Quote:

Originally posted by bob jenkins

Please give me a NCAA Men's/Women's rules quote that states that the same person must shoot both technical free throws.

mick Mon Jan 27, 2003 02:37pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:

Please give me a NCAA Men's/Women's rules quote that states that the same person must shoot both technical free throws.

8-2-3 "...the same shooter shall shoot both free throws."

BktBallRef Mon Jan 27, 2003 02:43pm

NCAA 8-2-3
The free throws awarded because of any technical foul may be attempted by any player on the offended team, including an entering player, who shall be designated by the captain of the offended team; however, the same player shall shoot both free throws.

I surprised you didn't know that Mark. ;)

BktBallRef Mon Jan 27, 2003 02:44pm

Quote:

Originally posted by mick
Quote:

Quote:

Daggone you, mick!! :)

mick Mon Jan 27, 2003 02:47pm

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Daggone you, mick!! :)

Well, gees Tony.
The thing is...

I didn't have to take the time to look it up. :rolleyes:

BktBallRef Mon Jan 27, 2003 04:12pm

Quote:

I didn't have to take the time to look it up. :rolleyes:
Well, you know MTD (sounds like a great name for a lawnmower, eh?), I figured I better quote scripture and verse. :p