The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 25, 2003, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Wow! Boys Varsity last night. The most intense game I've had so far. Good crowd, not packed but noisy. Two boisterous coaches, a close game (under 5 points most of the game). These are the games that I really enjoy.

I thought mt partner and I did a good job. Especially in the 2nd half, it started to get chippy, but we called it closer from then on and got it under control.

At one point, we were inbounding the ball. The crowd was noisy, both coaches were yelling instructions to their players. I'm thinking WOW, this is fun. I took a deep breath, and I went back to focusing on the play.

When I feel I'm control of a game, it reminds me of when I played. The play might be really fast, but it's as if you see everything in slow motion. No, I don't do drugs. When I played competitive sports, I would sometimes get in a zone and have that same feeling. Not the I was in the zone very often. I think that is one of the reasons I really enjoy officiating. The butterflies before the game, the intensity of the contest and the reflection after the game. You don't get that playing at the Y.

Sorry for the rambling on. This is one of the few places where others can relate with the experience of being a referree.

Old Sat Jan 25, 2003, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
I agree with you! I also love to work a game where the contest is close, the skill levels are high, and the crowd and coaches are into the game. Unfortunately, this combination doesn't happen too often and, when it does, can lead to tension and high emotions. These are the most fun to officiate but are also packed with "danger." Keep sharp during the game and work hard at preventative officiating.
Old Sat Jan 25, 2003, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay R
This is one of the few places where others can relate with the experience of being a referree.
WHAT are you talking about?

Realistically, the camaraderie of the officiating community is not common to many other “organizations”. I am glad you had such a rush… Makes you want to charge into the next game doesn’t it!?
Old Sun Jan 26, 2003, 04:10am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

great adrenaline rush, isn't it