The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Things I learned in Summer Ball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/71439-things-i-learned-summer-ball.html)

dsqrddgd909 Fri Jun 03, 2011 09:15am

Things I learned in Summer Ball

Girls V Summer league. 2 person, Good partner. 4 games in a row.

1. 3 months off has made me rusty. I was late on plays and not focusing on off the ball play as much as I should be.

2. Post play was rougher than I was expecting. A lot of foreams, hooking, uniform grabbing.

3. Had an obvious TC foul. A's Center went to set a pick and just before the dribbler gets there (before she sets a pick) she rolls to the post, plowing over B's zone defender. Coach not happy, keeps telling me that after a pick, A can roll to the basket and that it's not an illegal screen. I tell the coach that A CAN roll to the post but she cannot run over someone who has established her position on the floor. Coach won't let it go and keeps saying he just wants to make sure that I know the rule. 2nd time he says this, I say Coach that's enough, don't mention my rules knowledge again.

Funny thing was, this team ran that same play a majority of their sets. Post player goes to set a pick and intentionally rolls just before the dribbler and her defender get there. Hadn't seen that one before.

Mark Padgett Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 (Post 763117)
Coach won't let it go and keeps saying he just wants to make sure that I know the rule.

"Really, coach - that's the rule? Why don't you pull out your rulebook and show me. Wait - you don't own a rulebook? What a surprise!"

APG Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 763138)
"Really, coach - that's the rule? Why don't you pull out your rulebook and show me. Wait - you don't own a rulebook? What a surprise!"

I'd never suggest a coach to pull out a rule book...cause if a coach tried and pulled that stunt on me, that's a T in my book.

Adam Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 763145)
I'd never suggest a coach to pull out a rule book...cause if a coach tried and pulled that stunt on me, that's a T in my book.

+1

And that's just one problem with that approach.

just another ref Fri Jun 03, 2011 02:31pm

Quote:

I'd never suggest a coach to pull out a rule book...

But then again, you probably wouldn't puke on his shoes and stare at his pants, either.

MD Longhorn Fri Jun 03, 2011 03:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 763177)
But then again, you probably wouldn't puke on his shoes and stare at his pants, either.

Ok.....

APG Fri Jun 03, 2011 05:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 763183)
Ok.....

It's a Mark Padgettism...

26 Year Gap Fri Jun 03, 2011 07:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 763193)
It's a Mark Padgettism...

You'd think he'd know with over 2000 posts.:rolleyes:

JRutledge Fri Jun 03, 2011 07:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 763211)
You'd think he'd know with over 2000 posts.:rolleyes:

Mark has not used that on a regular basis in quite a long time. And people do ignore Mark sometimes too. ;)

Peace

just another ref Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 763213)
Mark has not used that on a regular basis in quite a long time.

But I'm reasonably sure that I'll never forget it.

Nevadaref Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:05am

Quote:

Why? Is that a violation of a rule?
What if the coach happens to actually be correct? :eek:

just another ref Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 763249)

10-4-1b ......shall not......commit.....acts such as......attempting to influence an official's decision.

Nevadaref Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:30am

...and if the situation involves a possible correctable error?

APG Sat Jun 04, 2011 01:16am

Quote:

There's only one reason a coach is going to try and pull that stunt...and that's to show you up. Now I'm not saying a coach can't have a rule book with him, and if he wants to read that instead of paying attention to the game, then that's fine by me, but he's not going to pull the out and try and show me a rule. That's just trying to show you up and make you look incompetent, incite the fans to your incompetency, and the players too.

The only exception I might make to this is in some rec league where special rules are often in place.

Mark Padgett Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:07am

Quote:

Then the world is really coming to an end! :eek: