The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Howler Monkey Fanboy (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/70589-howler-monkey-fanboy.html)

theboys Tue May 24, 2011 07:57am

Howler Monkey Fanboy

Just when you think you've seen it all...

My son's team was at the Brand Jordan Invitational this weekend. There was a last minute time change for his Sunday afternoon game so we were at the gym early - so early we got to watch the game before his. The games (13u) were in an elementary school gym, so the venue was pretty small with bleachers around five rows high along both sides of the court.

As the referee administered the tip we noticed a dad standing on the floor between the bleachers and the sideline on our side of the court. he was bent over, hands on his knees, watching the action, kind of like a third base coach. As soon as the game started he began hollering instructions and pacing up and down the sidelines. He continued, non-stop, for the entire first half. It was quite bizarre. He was very loud, but to his credit, he never addressed or questioned the referees.

As halftime ended we noticed he had moved. He had moved over to the team's bench, standing at the end opposite where the coach stood! Before the refs started the half they sent him back to our side of the court. Within a minute or so I noticed someone from site management telling him he couldn't continue pacing the sidelines. He went quietly into the stands and sat down. He watched the remainder of the game from that vantage point.

He's probably glad he did. His team lost by 20.

tref Tue May 24, 2011 09:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by theboys (Post 760731)
Within a minute or so I noticed someone from site management telling him he couldn't continue pacing the sidelines. He went quietly into the stands and sat down. He watched the remainder of the game from that vantage point.

He's probably glad he did. His team lost by 20.

His kid probably complained to the site director :D

*stop embarrassing me dad*

grunewar Tue May 24, 2011 01:51pm

A Tale of Two Moms......

Last night, game one, BV - Mom yells, "You can't call that! How can that be a charge? The defender wasn't set!" (charge) or

Game two, different mom, "He can't hit the backboard like that! Man, we need some new refs!" (Kid went up to block the shot and hit the backboard).

26 Year Gap Tue May 24, 2011 02:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 760846)
Last night, game one, BV - Mom yells, "You can't call that! How can that be a charge? The defender wasn't set!" (charge) or

Game two, different mom, "He can't hit the backboard like that! Man, we need some now refs!" (Kid went up to block the shot and hit the backboard).

As opposed to "then" refs? :D

grunewar Tue May 24, 2011 07:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 760851)
As opposed to "then" refs? :D

OK, I fixed it Mr. Spelling Guy! :o

26 Year Gap Tue May 24, 2011 07:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 760949)
OK, I fixed it Mr. Spelling Guy! :o

At least I'm not annoying like that other guy.

Bad Zebra Tue May 24, 2011 08:13pm

Speaking of HOWLER MONKEYS

Just for the record...I was on vacation a few weeks ago. The vacation spot: The beautiful, tropical paradise known as Costa Rica. Lots of outdoor activities..breathtaking scenery...flora, fauna, etc....but one of the highlights of the trip: Seeing Howler Monkeys in their natural habitat. First impression: They're not nearly annoying as ignorant coaches and/or fans.

26 Year Gap Tue May 24, 2011 08:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 760965)
Just for the record...I was on vacation a few weeks ago. The vacation spot: The beautiful, tropical paradise known as Costa Rica. Lots of outdoor activities..breathtaking scenery...flora, fauna, etc....but one of the highlights of the trip: Seeing Howler Monkeys in their natural habitat. First impression: They're not nearly annoying as ignorant coaches and/or fans.

So, we gotta come up with another animal name?:mad:

BktBallRef Tue May 24, 2011 08:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 760950)

Really? :rolleyes:

Bad Zebra Tue May 24, 2011 09:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 760969)
So, we gotta come up with another animal name?:mad:

Nah....most of the jungle that I observed didn't have internet access so unless somebody opens up their mouth and spills it to the Howler Monkey Anti-Defamation League we should be fine. I didn't see any of them in the internet cafe near the airport either.

http://ecdn3.hark.com/images/000/002...7/original.jpg

Adam Tue May 24, 2011 10:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 760974)
Really? :rolleyes:

Poll?

grunewar Wed May 25, 2011 04:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 760950)

Says who? :p

26 Year Gap Wed May 25, 2011 09:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 761058)
Says who? :p

Mr. Annoying Grammar Guy.

Multiple Sports Fri May 27, 2011 02:47pm

You know better !!!!!!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 760846)

Game two, different mom, "He can't hit the backboard like that! Man, we need some new refs!" (Kid went up to block the shot and hit the backboard).

Grun -

How many times have I told you to stop working teams from PG and Fairfax counties ?????

Don't you know that "those babies mamas" are always right and you are just a "cheatin ref" !!!!!!!!!!!

Gotta love ball along the I - 95 corridor !!!!!!!!!!

grunewar Fri May 27, 2011 04:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Multiple Sports (Post 761798)
Grun -

How many times have I told you to stop working teams from PG and Fairfax counties ?????

Don't you know that "those babies mamas" are always right and you are just a "cheatin ref" !!!!!!!!!!!

Gotta love ball along the I - 95 corridor !!!!!!!!!!

It was actually PW, Fairfax, and Loudon. But, your point is well taken! ;)