The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Mavericks - Thunder (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/70507-mavericks-thunder.html)

Adam Mon May 23, 2011 09:28am

Mavericks - Thunder

Okay, I haven't seen the play, but it's all the talk on M&M this morning. I've got two questions.

Was the Chandler technical foul (later rescinded) for dead ball contact?

Does the NBA have a rule similar to the NFHS rule against "faking being fouled?"

Scrapper1 Mon May 23, 2011 09:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 760479)

I would assume so, as a basket had just been scored and the throw-in hadn't started yet. I don't know about the "faking being fouled".

Adam Mon May 23, 2011 09:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 760483)
I would assume so, as a basket had just been scored and the throw-in hadn't started yet. I don't know about the "faking being fouled".

Gotcha. Funny I was able to piece that together from:

"They should have just called a foul, not a technical"

and

"They need to institute some rule against 'embellishment.'"

rockyroad Mon May 23, 2011 11:27am

Harden scored on a drive to the basket. Chandler grabbed the ball out of the net. Harden turned to run down court and ran into Chandler. Neither player would move to let the other on get past. As they are bumping around, Chandler raises the ball over his head - with his elbows out - and his elbow.forearm pops Harden in the cheek area. Harden then goes into his best European soccer player impression, throws his head back and slams himself to the floor, writhing in agony...officials call a T on Chandler.

It was really ridiculous watching the replays...but I can completely understand why the ref called the T at the time - he didn't have the benefit of watching it on replay.

But it does bring up another reason why I find the NBA to be more and more unwatchable. Every single time someone drives to the basket, they throw themselves to the ground trying to get a call...when they actually do get bumped a little and get the call, they roll around and writhe around in agony, until it's time to shoot their free throws, then they pop right up and are miraculously cured of all damage. I can't stand it...

Adam Mon May 23, 2011 11:33am

Funny, M&M made it sound like there wasn't even any contact at all.

APG Mon May 23, 2011 11:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 760479)
Okay, I haven't seen the play, but it's all the talk on M&M this morning. I've got two questions.

Does the NBA have a rule similar to the NFHS rule against "faking being fouled?"

Yes, the technical foul was for dead ball contact.

There is no specific NBA rule against "faking being fouled" and I don't really see the need for such a rule at the pro level.

mbyron Mon May 23, 2011 12:04pm

Here's (a somewhat annoying version of) the video:

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hVnMbfrNKqs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Adam Mon May 23, 2011 12:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 760521)
Yes, the technical foul was for dead ball contact.

There is no specific NBA rule against "faking being fouled" and I don't really see the need for such a rule at the pro level.

Thanks, I just assumed they had a version of our (NFHS) rule on "flopping." Interesting.

APG Mon May 23, 2011 12:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 760526)
Thanks, I just assumed they had a version of our (NFHS) rule on "flopping." Interesting.

I don't really think it's needed at the pro level. One, we don't even use that rule that often at the NF level, two if you want to "fake being fouled," more often than not, you'll be on the floor where you'll be looking up at someone dunking on you or a three pointer going up because someone had to rotate and help you out or you're putting up a junk shot and the defense is grabbing the rebound and off on a fastbreak.

MD Longhorn Mon May 23, 2011 12:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 760515)
Funny, M&M made it sound like there wasn't even any contact at all.

I don't think there was. If there was, it was exceedingly minimal.

ref2coach Mon May 23, 2011 01:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 760524)
Here's (a somewhat annoying version of) the video:

Wow, since I am also a soccer referee, I would have wanted to issue a yellow card for simulation/embellishing in an effort to deceive the Referee.