The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 17, 2003, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

JV game - Blowout last night.

The crowd was a good mix of Home and Visitors. We called a good clean game but - in my 2 years this crowd was relentless.

Asked the table at the quarter break and he said they (about 5 to 10 people - adults) were constant hecklers. Seemed louder than normal tonight however.

They really got under my partners skin. He was 1st year and a little slow. They were hostile, personal, insulting, profane, etc. all night.

Question: Is there any crowd control techniques to use?
Is "ignore them" the only way?
When is enough "sport" enough?

The comments quickly got outside the game - not commenting on calls and the play but just ref insulting all night.

Wow.
Old Fri Jan 17, 2003, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
In my six years of officiating, I have had three fans removed from the gym. Sometimes, enough is enough. I'm not proud of this, but I felt it was my responsibility.

I would recommend not to look for trouble, but if you can isolate an individual and they are obviously crossing the line, get with game management and have them removed. Nothing personal, just business. You are paid to control the game and if they are a distraction, handle it. Out of control fans breed other out of control fans. You chunk the first one and I'll guarantee the others will get the message.

[Edited by BigDave on Jan 17th, 2003 at 06:56 PM]
Old Fri Jan 17, 2003, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Very interesting. Did Game management protest too.

Is it exclusivly the ref's call?
Old Fri Jan 17, 2003, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

If you want him removed, he's gotta go. We're not playing until he's gone.

I don't tolerate vulgarity, racial remarks, or profanity. I ejected a fan two weeks ago who had an affectionate relationship with the word "suck."

See ya!

Prinicipal took his picture with a polaroid, suspended him for a year from coming to games and posted his photo in a book kept at the ticket booth.

YES!!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Jan 18, 2003, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

Prinicipal took his picture with a polaroid, suspended him for a year from coming to games and posted his photo in a book kept at the ticket booth.

YES!!
Banned . . . for . . . life!
Old Sat Jan 18, 2003, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Can of Worms

JMHO -- per Fed rule 2.8.1 : Home management is responsible for crowd control. If your head is in the stands, it's not in the game, and they have won.
Occasionally, if we have a nutzoid, during a quiet time we inform game management of the sitch, then let them take it from there. Incident reports, phone calls to the schools administration, may be used as well.
Casebook 2.8.1 --
Do these people interfere with the administration of a game?
I realize that "interfere' may mean different things to different people.
Old Sat Jan 18, 2003, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Can of Worms

Quote:
Originally posted by oatmealqueen
If your head is in the stands, it's not in the game, and they have won.
I disagree to some extent. No, you shouldn't let these people take you out of the game. However, this is a crazy world and there are people who would do harm to you, if given the opportunity. It's no different than using an ATM. You'd better be aware of what's going on around you. It's naive to think that someone won't come out of the stands after you. Don't beleive me? Ask Monica Seles or the KC Royals 1st base coach.

Old Sat Jan 18, 2003, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:

YES!!
"No soup for you!! Come back, one year!!"

Old Sat Jan 18, 2003, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Can of Worms

I disagree to some extent. No, you shouldn't let these people take you out of the game. However, this is a crazy world and there are people who would do harm to you, if given the opportunity. It's no different than using an ATM. You'd better be aware of what's going on around you. It's naive to think that someone won't come out of the stands after you. Don't beleive me? Ask Monica Seles or the KC Royals 1st base coach. [/B][/QUOTE]

I agree that the nertballs are around, I just believe that we must use proper procedure in these cases. Listening (and reacting) to fans takes our focus away from our task at hand. JMHO
Old Sat Jan 18, 2003, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:

YES!!
"No soup for you!! Come back, one year!!"
NO - the Simpsons!

(Although the Seinfield reference works here, too.)

Old Mon Jan 20, 2003, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

I am working HS ball for the first time this season, and had a situation a couple of weeks ago where my veteran partner got fed up with one section of the crowd.

He stopped the game, talked to both coaches, and had them talk to the offending section. Supposedly those who were being quiet moved away so as not to be tossed out with the riff-raff. All it really succeeded in doing was to move the hecklers from one area to many areas of the gym.

What it really showed was that my partner had been distracted from the game. He was so into not putting up with the crowd that he forgot to worry about calling fouls the rest of the game. This was the first of two games, and our between game discussion consited of his beef with the crowd.

My opinion, as long as the yelling isn't too profane, ignore it. Game management should be listening and deal with the truly obnoxious. Our job is to watch and officiate the game on the floor, not the crowd.

Old Mon Jan 20, 2003, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Another technique

Attended a game as an observer. There was one heckler directly behind the visiting bench several rows up. The officiating team came out after halftime; met about the mid court circle; they said few things to each other; one of them turned and pointed directly at this guy and made eye contact; the other official shook his head in agreement; pointed himself at the guy and some discussion about what the heckler was wearing for comfirmation. They went on to have a great game and the heckler never said another word.

I really like the not WANTED poster idea. Polaroids are great!

Another situation. A goup of HS kids were heckling me and my partner. Ball goes out right where they were setting. I point the direction. I get a player for throw-in. I turn to check the table. Turn to check my partner. Turn back to hand the ball to the player... and there is now one of these heckling boys between me and the player. He says "You don't deserve to be out here." I replied "And neither do you." TWEET. Management kicked out about a dozen students that he was setting with - no more hecklers.

In this case, they entered the court of play and that is never acceptable.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2003, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Red face Tony..

That was a no-brainer.. out on the floor--pitched.
I'm not sure that I agree with the pointing method. Once again, their heads were in the stands.
Use game management, per rules and manual.
FYI, I rarely EVER look into the stands for any reason during a game. My focus usually ends on the other side of the black lines that circle (square?) the court.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2003, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Another technique

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
Attended a game as an observer. There was one heckler directly behind the visiting bench several rows up. The officiating team came out after halftime; met about the mid court circle; they said few things to each other; one of them turned and pointed directly at this guy and made eye contact; the other official shook his head in agreement; pointed himself at the guy and some discussion about what the heckler was wearing for comfirmation. They went on to have a great game and the heckler never said another word.

Why would they do this?
Old Mon Jan 20, 2003, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

I assume it was the threat of "We know who you are. We've heard your senseless screaming. And we can easily kick you out."

It worked.