The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 21, 2003, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Miami hits a 3 to go ahead. The clock stops at :05. Players from Miami's bench and I also think fans rush the court. Officials fail to blow their whistles, clear the court and either allow Conn. to inbounds the ball properly or call a technical on Miami. Seems they got caught up in the moment too.

Did anyone else see this.
Old Tue Jan 21, 2003, 12:58pm
Jerry Blum

Didn't see the game but saw the highlights and it was only 5 tenths of a second left. Not 5 seconds.
Old Tue Jan 21, 2003, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

I know.
Old Tue Jan 21, 2003, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by caref
I know.
There's something in the recent NCAA bulletins on this -- maybe that applies.
Old Tue Jan 21, 2003, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

yeah...i thought the same thing.

NCAA womens' side just posted a bulletin that states to use common sense in this situation...if the players do not impede the finish of the game (inbounds, shot, etc.) then disregard. Otherwise, "whack".

I think this might have been the case, but couldn't tell from the camera angle if the celebration prevented UConn from inbounding the ball.

...if I'm the inbounding player, I'm throwing the pass off of a bench player who's on the court....force the official to make the call.

Regardless...great steal and shot, 5 pts in 5 seconds to win by one is pretty cool...
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 03:52am
Official Forum Member

I taped this game. I have looked at the finish quite a bit. Yes, a team member from Miami ran off the baseline corner onto the court after that last 3 pointer. He did not seem to interfere with the subsequent action. When I saw him run onto the court, I thought that it would be unfortunate if a T was called. I also thought about how in a HS game the clock would run out and the kids that are excited would not have to worry about a T.
Finally, Digger made a big point on ESPN about the UConn player having his foot inbounds when he threw the throw-in pass that was intercepted by Rice before he made the last 3.
I have put the VCR on slow motion and zoomed in on his foot. When the player threw the pass his foot was in the air above the line, not touching the court inbounds, when it did touch down, it touched OOB. It was very close, but it looks like maybe a fraction of an inch OOB.