The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 15, 2003, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to ROMANO Send a message via AIM to ROMANO
Question

IN the NBA/NCAA When a pleayer receives a pass while boot feet are off the floor and then returns to the floor with the right foot &jumps off that foot and return to the floor with both feet simultaneously,may now choose either foot as a pivot foot?because i now that in the NBA there is some rule about EXTRA step that the pleayer can use.in FIBA rules this is not allowed.
Old Wed Jan 15, 2003, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

NBA, yes - that is why everyone thinks that the NBA ignores travelling. While the NBA refs do pass on other travelling calls at times, on many calls that casual fans think should be travelling the refs are allowing something that is permissable under NBA rules.

Under NCAA, the rule is the same as NF and FIBA. Of course, with respect to starting the dribble and the pivot foot, we had that discussion elsewhere and NCAA may be a little more lenient in enfocement than FIBA.

One other thing I still see all the time in NCAA. Player moving away from basket, catches ball and does a one-two stop with the first foot landing inside the arc and second foot outside the arc. The player then pivots on second foot to hit the floor so he can face the basket and shoot the 3 (i.e., he needs to move his first foot down to a position outside the arc in order to get a 3 point shot). This represents a change in pivot foot and therefore a travel, and is a huge advantage for the offense - and it is also regularly ignored in NCAA.
Old Wed Jan 15, 2003, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
NBA, yes - that is why everyone thinks that the NBA ignores travelling. While the NBA refs do pass on other travelling calls at times, on many calls that casual fans think should be travelling the refs are allowing something that is permissable under NBA rules.

Under NCAA, the rule is the same as NF and FIBA. Of course, with respect to starting the dribble and the pivot foot, we had that discussion elsewhere and NCAA may be a little more lenient in enfocement than FIBA.

One other thing I still see all the time in NCAA. Player moving away from basket, catches ball and does a one-two stop with the first foot landing inside the arc and second foot outside the arc. The player then pivots on second foot to hit the floor so he can face the basket and shoot the 3 (i.e., he needs to move his first foot down to a position outside the arc in order to get a 3 point shot). This represents a change in pivot foot and therefore a travel, and is a huge advantage for the offense - and it is also regularly ignored in NCAA.
Only if he puts that pivot foot back down, right? If he shoots off of one foot, we don't have a travel?

(it's been a year or two since I've officiated basketball so pardon my ignorance here).

Old Wed Jan 15, 2003, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

You also see this should be travel ignored/missed quite a bit. Wing player recieves pass from post with both feet on floor. One foot inside 3pt arc 2nd outside. Player establishes pivot foot as foot inside arc, pivots to create space and then slides pivot foot back behind arc to shoot 3.

Old Wed Jan 15, 2003, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Okay, you got me

Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears
[QUOTE Only if he puts that pivot foot back down, right? If he shoots off of one foot, we don't have a travel?

(it's been a year or two since I've officiated basketball so pardon my ignorance here).
Cute technicality Mike. To be perfectly clear, I am not referring to someone pivoting away from the basket and remaining balanced on one foot and attempting to shoot a 3. In this case, they have both feet on floor and face the basket when setting up for a 3 in this manner.

Old Thu Jan 16, 2003, 01:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to ROMANO Send a message via AIM to ROMANO
Lightbulb

That'S WHY Amrecian pleayer that comes to play in eurupe all the time havinig a problem with travel rule..