The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   2-person all season, 3-person for tournament (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/6980-2-person-all-season-3-person-tournament.html)

twoblindrefs Tue Jan 14, 2003 02:49pm

Do any states still work 2-person all season other than Massachusetts? Out state is about to authorize the use of 3-person crews for sectional semi-finals to the state finals.

How have other states started to use 3-person? Did any just decide to go to 3 for the tournament or do most states generally have some regular season games worked under the 3-person system?

Finally, does any state use the NCAA mechanics for 3-person instead of the National Federation?

Dan

BktBallRef Tue Jan 14, 2003 02:56pm

North Carolina

3 man for all varsity games, all year long.

What would be the point in using NCAA mechanics instead of NFHS?

twoblindrefs Tue Jan 14, 2003 02:58pm

using NCAA mechanics

My thought is that if the 3-person is going to be used for the tournament, at least by using the ncaa 3-person some of the officials who work both high school and college will be able to lead the crews....otherwise, we all start from scratch trying to learn a new system.

JRutledge Tue Jan 14, 2003 03:15pm

Illinois

We have had 3 Person for all playoffs for about 6 years.

I would say that Boy's Varsity games are played about 97% of the time with 3 Officials.

On the Girl's side I would say about 85% of the games are played under 3 Officials.

When the playoffs come, all games are played with 3 Officials.

We only use NF Mechanics with some modifications based on some IHSA Philosophy. But basically everything we do is based on the NF Mechanics.

Peace

DownTownTonyBrown Tue Jan 14, 2003 03:47pm

Idaho. Two-man from start to end.

Ron Tue Jan 14, 2003 03:50pm

Ontario provincials championships use 2 person crews.

During the regular season, 2 person crews are the norm. However, in the boys regional playoffs (SWOSSAA) in our area, 3 person crews will be used. Adding to the confusion, SWOSSAA girls used only 2 person crews this year.

To prepare for the SWOSSAA games, our association has used 3 person crews for certain tournament games. We have three local officials who officiate at the collegiate level, and thus use 3 person mechanics regularly. But, the other guys need to be exposed to 3 person in some way, and tournament play is the way.

Jeremy Hohn Tue Jan 14, 2003 04:20pm

here in Tx, we use 3 person crews for 4a and 5a assignments and 2 person from 3a on down to 1a. The state tournaments and regional tournaments use 3 person crews for all divisions and assignments.

mick Tue Jan 14, 2003 04:20pm

Re: using NCAA mechanics

Quote:

Originally posted by twoblindrefs
My thought is that if the 3-person is going to be used for the tournament, at least by using the ncaa 3-person some of the officials who work both high school and college will be able to lead the crews....otherwise, we all start from scratch trying to learn a new system.

3-whistle mechanics are subtly different for HS, Women and Men.
Wha'dya mean less confusion? ;)

ScottParks Tue Jan 14, 2003 05:00pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jeremy Hohn
here in Tx, we use 3 person crews for 4a and 5a assignments and 2 person from 3a on down to 1a. The state tournaments and regional tournaments use 3 person crews for all divisions and assignments.

Jeremy, where are you in Texas. Up here in Ft. Worth area, not all 4A and 5A schools are 3 whistle.

BktBallRef Tue Jan 14, 2003 06:31pm

Re: using NCAA mechanics

Quote:

I honestly don't think there's enough difference to cause "confusion."

ChuckElias Thu Jan 16, 2003 06:56am

Re: Re: using NCAA mechanics

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:

Problem is, Tony, that NOBODY up here in Mass knows the HS 3-whistle mechanics, b/c we never use it at all. So if you use it for the tournament, you either have to teach HS officials the new mechanics or use college officials who are not going to change their mechanics just for one game.

Chuck

mick Thu Jan 16, 2003 08:51am

Re: Re: Re: using NCAA mechanics

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:

Problem is, Tony, that NOBODY up here in Mass knows the HS 3-whistle mechanics, b/c we never use it at all. So if you use it for the tournament, you either have to teach HS officials the new mechanics or use college officials who are not going to change their mechanics just for one game.

Chuck

Chuck the Cruiser,
The way I understand this in Michigan, is that Michigan had a similar deal and they offered a pre-tourney crash course in the 3-official for a few years.
Well, since 3-whistle is, now, so popular downstate, MHSAA quit doing it.
But they taught HS mechanics, and not Men or Women.
mick

Ron Pilo Thu Jan 16, 2003 08:54am

Like Idaho, Washington is 2 person crews throughout the entire season.

twoblindrefs Thu Jan 16, 2003 11:55am

staying with 2-person, yahoo!

MIAA staying with 2-person for this year according to "word on the street"....

For those of you who think there are only "subtle" differences between NF 3-person and either NCAA men's or NCAA Women's, you might be right compared to men's...but there are major differences between NF and women's

Thanks to all for your feedback....to those still working 2-person, we might get lucky and get it in the regular season by 2010? (At least we can hope)

mick Thu Jan 16, 2003 12:03pm

Re: staying with 2-person, yahoo!

Quote:

For those of you who think there are only "subtle" differences between NF 3-person and either NCAA men's or NCAA Women's, you might be right compared to men's...but there are major differences between NF and women's

"Major", "minor", "subtle"... that's all based on prespective.
Yes, there are differences, but anyone here can handle 'em.