The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 14, 2003, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Our association requires that the trail official in two-man work the center of the floor as much as possible. There is a situation for which I would like your input. When there is a steal or the ball is tipped away from the offense near the division line it is like a fire drill. The two players going for the ball are on their way to the other end plus the offside players are now also in pursuit. What is the best position to take to avoid being in the way? I have been trying let the first wave go by and then move at a 45 degree angle toward the sideline and get set behind the play and watch the action as the play goes to the basket. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2003, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jake80
Our association requires that the trail official in two-man work the center of the floor as much as possible. There is a situation for which I would like your input. When there is a steal or the ball is tipped away from the offense near the division line it is like a fire drill. The two players going for the ball are on their way to the other end plus the offside players are now also in pursuit. What is the best position to take to avoid being in the way? I have been trying let the first wave go by and then move at a 45 degree angle toward the sideline and get set behind the play and watch the action as the play goes to the basket. Any advice would be appreciated.
The best position to avoid being in the way is off the sideline. However, that position sucks for all the rest of officiating in the front court. There is no easy answer to your question. You do need to be off the sidelines to avoid straghtlining. The best advice I can give is to hold your ground and let them maneuver around you until you can move without moving directly into someone's path. You might want to try one of the publications by Referee magazine, Working the Trail or the Officails Manual. Both are excellent.

Mregor
Old Tue Jan 14, 2003, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Trail officiating

Hi Jake, good question.

I also like my officials in a 2-person crew to strongly work the arc. In teaching this system, we encourage breaking the front court into 9 zones, 9 equal sqaures (more or less)

You as a trail should always be in a zone touching the zone with the ball...or being off the court when the ball is in a zone near your sideline and near you!

To set-up a diagram to see the zones, extend free throw lane lines to center court....that divides the court into 3rds....and then draw cross court lines equal distance from the end-line and half-court line to divide it into 3rds that way.

Good luck.....and keep working the arc!
Old Tue Jan 14, 2003, 02:33pm
Administrator

Sounds like you are doing it the correct way. Your description of how you do it sounds like how I would do it. And I am glad your assocition is encouraging its members to move out onto the court per the NFHS Manual.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jan 14, 2003, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

I agree that it is good to get off the sideline when the ball is on the opposite side of the floor, but you have to be careful to be able to get back to your sideline if the offense reverses the ball and throws a pass back to the sideline you just left!