The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 13, 2003, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Here is a discussion that we were having after the game. If you whack the Varsity coach and send him/her out of the gym in a Fresh/JV game, can they coach their game that night?

My two sense!
Old Mon Jan 13, 2003, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

From an NF standpoint, yes. A coach is only ejected (a player is only disqualified) for the game in which the penalty is assessed.

There may, however, be state/conference guidelines to the contrary. Your assignor may or may not want the officials to enforce these - so check with him.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2003, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks Mark, I will.

My two sense!
Old Mon Jan 13, 2003, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
I had this situation:
Fan being very crass and demeaning during a MS Girls game. I ask him to settle down or I will ask to have him removed. He pipes down. He comes out and is the MS Boys coach. What would have happened if I had to have him removed?
Old Mon Jan 13, 2003, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fletch_irwin_m
I had this situation:
Fan being very crass and demeaning during a MS Girls game. I ask him to settle down or I will ask to have him removed. He pipes down. He comes out and is the MS Boys coach. What would have happened if I had to have him removed?
I don't know what the others will say but I would not let him back into the gym after game management led him out. Just because he is the next coach has no barring on the fact that he was ejected.

Now, some are going to say that this is not by NF rule. But I guarantee that no school/school board is going to want to press a situation where a disruptive person was let back in to “coach” children.

IÂ’ll let the chips fall where they may on this.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2003, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmm,

We've gone through this before:

Different states and different leagues have different rules concerning what happens when a coach is ejected from a game.

Some leagues have "no penalty" other than missing the remainder of the game when ejected . . . there are a number of different rules when coaches are involved in a multiple of games in one day situation.

"I don't know what the others will say but I would not let him back into the gym after game management led him out. Just because he is the next coach has no barring on the fact that he was ejected."

Unless there are league or state rules that support this decision an official has no right to make stuff up. This is very bad advice.

An ejection from a game is just that . . . an explusion from "that" game. Unless there are rules that back-up additional penalities an official has no right to make up their own course.

As bFair says, "Just My Opinion."

Tee

[Edited by Tim C on Jan 13th, 2003 at 02:04 PM]
Old Mon Jan 13, 2003, 12:50pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
Unless there are league or state rules that support this decision an official has no right to make stuff up. This is very bad advice.

An ejection from a game is just that . . . an explusion from "that" game. Unless three are rules that back-up additional penalities an official has no right to make up their own course.

As bFair says, "Just My Opinion."

Tee
Agree completely.What we personally like or don't like never matters.If you start making up your own rules,you can find yourself in deep doo-doo.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2003, 01:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Talking Regional issue!!

This is completely as state or league issue. There are no NF rules or even NCAA rules that cover this directly. At the very least that I am aware of. In my state a coach or player that is ejected, must sit out the rest of that game and any other game at other levels until the game that they got ejected from has been played. So for example, if a varsity coach was ejected from a Freshman B game on Monday and there is not varsity game until another Freshman B game on Saturday, they must sit out all games at all levels until another Freshman B game is played. Or 10 days have past, depending on what happens first. I am sure that other states have some other rules that are defined and if you know them, you can enforce them. So if I throw out a varsity coach during the JV game before the varsity game, I am not going to allow that coach to be apart of the varsity game. And if the coach insists, I have to file a report anyway and that information will be included in that report. Then the State will have to decide what to do next.

It is very important to contact the people that regulate participation of coaches and ask them how to handle these situations.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 13, 2003, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Rut,

So in your area:

Let's say that the varsity coach is sitting on the bench of the "last" freshman level game of the season.

That coach is ejected . . . from the freshman game.

The Freshman Season has now ended, for the year.

There are 10 Varsity games left on the schedule.

Does this mean that the varsity coach cannot participate in any of those 10 games?

Respectfully,

Tee
Old Mon Jan 13, 2003, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Rut,

Quote:
So in your area:

Let's say that the varsity coach is sitting on the bench of the "last" freshman level game of the season.

Does this mean that the varsity coach cannot participate in any of those 10 games?

Respectfully,

Tee
Assuming those 10 games are in the next 10 days, yes, that's what it means.

(To tell the truth, I wasn't aware of the 10-day part of the requirement. I thought the requirement even carried over to the next season.)

That said, it's not our job to enforce or even comment on the rule. If asked, I feign ignorance (that's not hard for me to do). I will (and have) answered questions from the State on who participated / coached in a particular game.

Old Mon Jan 13, 2003, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Bob,

We have discussed this before on baseball boards:

Example:

An official goes to work a game.

There is not a state rule about ejection penalties.

As an official you toss the coach during the JV game (first game of a multiple game set).

Now the varsity game is set to begin and the coach shows up to coach.

If you, as the official, do not know a league (school, district, etc.) rule for additional punishment do you instill your own will and tell the coach he cannot coach that game?

We run into this ALL THE TIME in baseball where we have several rule books and even more local rules about disqualifications.

So what do you do . . . let him participate and report it or do you take the chance and tell him that he cannot coach?
Old Mon Jan 13, 2003, 08:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Rut,

Quote:
So in your area:

Respectfully,

Tee
It is 10 days or sit out the next game at that level, which ever comes first. So if 10 days go by and a team has 10 games before there is a Freshman game, they have to sit out. So if it is the final game of the season, then they have to wait until those 10 days are up and their team is still playing in the playoffs in order to participate again.

Bob,

This policy is new I think. They did not have the 10 day thing before, but I think they changed it in order to not have a coach sit out the entire playoffs or a lengthy period for getting ejected in one game. But I have had a situation where I ejected the coach and the state gave them more than one game to miss. So I guess unless the IHSA mandates a suspension, they will only sit out one game. But this is what the said at two rules meetings that I attended. One was for football the other was in basketball.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 13, 2003, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Bob,

Quote:
So what do you do . . . let him participate and report it or do you take the chance and tell him that he cannot coach?
The former.

It's up to the coach to know the "administrative" rules.

It's no different than an opposing coach claiming a player is ineligible (grades, doesn't attend school, too old, ...).

The player plays, I report it and the powers-that-be decide any penalty.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2003, 10:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: Bob,

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
The former.

It's up to the coach to know the "administrative" rules.

It's no different than an opposing coach claiming a player is ineligible (grades, doesn't attend school, too old, ...).

The player plays, I report it and the powers-that-be decide any penalty.
Exactly. If they violate the rules, someone will report it. So I just suggest that we really do nothing and say nothing and let the powers that be sort it out.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 14, 2003, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Rut,

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
So in your area:

Respectfully,

Tee
Assuming those 10 games are in the next 10 days, yes, that's what it means.

(To tell the truth, I wasn't aware of the 10-day part of the requirement. I thought the requirement even carried over to the next season.)

That said, it's not our job to enforce or even comment on the rule. If asked, I feign ignorance (that's not hard for me to do). I will (and have) answered questions from the State on who participated / coached in a particular game.

Probably best to feign ignorance because it isn't the officials duty to enforce IHSA by-laws. Good answer.

Here is information from the IHSA website about the by-laws:

Q. If a player or coach is ejected from a junior varsity soccer game, when is he/she eligible to participate?
A. A player or coach ejected from a junior varsity soccer game for unsportsmanlike conduct will not be eligible to participate
at any level of competition in soccer until the next junior varsity soccer game has been completed. If there
is no contest at the same level within a ten day period, the ejected player or coach may fulfill the requirements of
the by-law by missing three contests for another team(s) at any level in the same sport for which they are a rostered
player or contracted coach. (By-law 6.011)

Q. If a player is ejected from the first game of a doubleheader in softball, is she eligible to play in the second game of the doubleheader?
A. No. (By-law 6.011)

Q. In the same situation, if the girl was in the lineup for the second game should the umpire allow her to play?
A. Yes. Game officials are not responsible for enforcing By-laws 6.011 or 6.012. The ejection from the first game should
be reported as required. Note: all ejections for unsportsmanlike conduct must be reported in writing to the IHSA and the member school(s) involved by officials within 48 hours of the incident. (By-law 6.011)