The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What happened with the inadvertent whistle? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/69312-what-happened-inadvertent-whistle.html)

Scrapper1 Mon May 09, 2011 07:49am

What happened with the inadvertent whistle?

In the Bulls/Hawks game last night, it appeared that there was an inadvertent whistle late in the game. The whistle came immediately after the Bulls released a try, which was unsuccessful. This resulted in a jump ball in the center circle.

Immediately after the whistle, the official went to the scorer's table and jabbed his finger angrily on the table, making me think there was a clock issue. So maybe "inadvertent" isn't technically correct.

I was watching with no sound, because my wife was sleeping, so I have no idea what the reason for that whistle was. Anybody have any insight?

tref Mon May 09, 2011 08:36am

NBA ref admits he blew call on inadvertent whistle - NBA - Sporting News

BktBallRef Mon May 09, 2011 12:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 757172)
In the Bulls/Hawks game last night, it appeared that there was an inadvertent whistle late in the game. The whistle came immediately after the Bulls released a try, which was unsuccessful. This resulted in a jump ball in the center circle.

Immediately after the whistle, the official went to the scorer's table and jabbed his finger angrily on the table, making me think there was a clock issue. So maybe "inadvertent" isn't technically correct.

I was watching with no sound, because my wife was sleeping, so I have no idea what the reason for that whistle was. Anybody have any insight?

Haven't read the story tref posted but I saw Salvatore chicken wing and evidently blow his whistle. I think he anticipated the foul and then there wasn't one.

Jurassic Referee Mon May 09, 2011 12:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 757275)
I think he anticipated the foul and then there wasn't one.

Oh, there was a foul on the play..and a very obvious one too. He just screwed up the call big time.

APG Mon May 09, 2011 12:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 757283)
Oh, there was a foul on the play..and a very obvious one too. He just screwed up the call big time.

He admitted as much:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennett Salvatore
"An inadvertent whistle is when a referee blows a whistle and didn't mean to," Salvatore said. "That's exactly what happened. I blew my whistle and didn't mean to. I didn't think it was a foul."

Bennett changed his opinion after watching a replay.

"It was a foul and I should have called it," he said. "I made a mistake."

tref Mon May 09, 2011 12:25pm

Any clips out there? He said after seeing the replay it was a foul, but I'd like to what happened that made him second guess himself.

APG Mon May 09, 2011 12:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 757287)
Any clips out there? He said after seeing the replay it was a foul, but I'd like to what happened that made him second guess himself.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3DknRqCv2rg" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="349" width="560"></iframe>

Go to the 2:38 mark

BktBallRef Mon May 09, 2011 12:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 757283)

Either way, he anticipated it, chicken winged it and then, for whatever reason, didn't call it.

JRutledge Mon May 09, 2011 12:33pm

I think he simply anticipated a call and then did not feel there was much to call at the moment. Nothing you can do about it now.

Peace

tref Mon May 09, 2011 12:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 757292)
I think he simply anticipated a call and then did not feel there was much to call at the moment. Nothing you can do about it now.

Peace

True, but it is a very good teaching play!
1-2 steps to the right would've gotten him a better look on the play at slot. Thanks APG!
PA = move to improve! He looked stuck in the mud & cost us a 3-1 lead :-) j/k

JugglingReferee Mon May 09, 2011 08:54pm

If you watch the video, Salvatore did not move to improve. In fact, he did the opposite, he moved slightly to the left and ended up being straight-lined. That's why he screwed it up. Had he moved to the right a bit (instead of the left), he'd make that call every day because he'd've seen the separation disappear between the players due to the defensive player.

bainsey Tue May 10, 2011 12:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 757172)
I was watching with no sound, because my wife was sleeping....

Side note: Get some wireless headphones. My wife also used to hate when I would watch TV in our room at night, but I got headphones a few months ago, and it has taken care of the problem. You can find a good pair for $50-$60 online.

tref Tue May 10, 2011 12:12pm

2 birds 1 stone

You mean multi-purpose headphones :D

constable Wed May 11, 2011 05:06am

He kicked it. I'm a Bulls fan so I must disclose that but even if I wasn't it seemed to be an obvious foul to me.

It really hammers home to anticipate the play not the foul saying.

Also, we must give credit when due for admitting his mistake to the media no less.

Finally- Salvatore seems to do a good job ( by NBA standards).

I really enjoy this clip.

YouTube - Allen Iverson & Larry Brown argue with the NBA referee

Raymond Wed May 11, 2011 08:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by constable (Post 757804)

AI sounds like his normal illogical self.

But I'm really surprised by Larry Brown's nonsensical comments.