The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 15, 2003, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Team A scores basket, Team B takes ball out of bounds and runs baseline as team A presses. Another player from Team B steps out of bounds for pass. Player who catches pass out of bounds also runs baseline.

Once the ball was passed in bounds to the second Team B player, is he now the spot and cannot run baseline or can he also run the baseline?

How can a team do all of this on a 5 count?
Old Wed Jan 15, 2003, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Please clarify a bit. You confused me with the pass inbounds to second B player, but I think you meant it to be a pass OOB to OOB. I believe you meant to say...

A1 makes a shot. B1 steps OOB with ball and begins to run baseline. B2 steps OOB and B1 passes to B2. B2 now wants to run baseline. Is this legal?

Yes this is legal. There is never a spot throw-in on a made basket, regardless of how many people touch the ball OOB (i.e., runing the baseline is not a right granted only to the first player OOB). Additionally, B1 and B2 can play catch OOB until the 5 count is reached, and either player can run the baseline (and you could ad a B3, B4, etc., until the count reaches 5!).

Yes, your scenario could happen in 5 seconds if a team moved quickly. B1 OOB, 1 sec. B1 running til 2 sec and passes. B2 catches before 3 seconds and immediately starts to run. B2 inbounds easily before 5 seconds.

In reality, the B1 to B2 pass is usually used to cover more baseline quickly, so it is unlikely that either player would run very much. If the second player spends much time running, they lose the advantage gained by the pass and risk a 5 count. So it's not the best move to make, but it is possible and legal.
Old Wed Jan 15, 2003, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

It is legal for the player to run the baseline. Has anyone seen more than one pass out of bounds in this situation? I don't think I have, but that would be interesting.

John, how do you fit your last name in that little box when you sign the book?
Old Wed Jan 15, 2003, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the reply Hawk Coach, and yes you assumed the clarification correctly.

MJ, the name use to fit, but the stamped characters were very very small. I use to ref, just an observer today.

regards,
John