The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Who Let The Dogs Out ??? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/69228-who-let-dogs-out.html)

Raymond Mon May 09, 2011 12:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 757221)
... Of course, before the games, I check the records of the teams, look at their schedules, and get the first names of head coaches before I go, too.

I don't need to check the paper to find out their first names. They all have the same first name to me, "Coach".

Rich Mon May 09, 2011 12:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 757294)
If the coaches don't want to play OT so badly or are worried about starting the varsity game on time, then the coach's should just agree to shorten the OT period or just don't play it. As is, I'm indifferent about non-varsity games going into OT. Doesn't happen enough in my experience to where we should just declare it a tie.

I actually agree with you. Only happened to me twice this season in 55 HS games. But it's funny hearing everyone complain about a 2OT game and we're the only ones that drove over an hour to be there by 6:30PM.

Personally, I'm thrilled with the conferences that play 7 minute quarters in the JV games (some do around here, some don't). Those 4 minutes cut do more to keep us on schedule than anything else ever would. And if they do play OT, they're just playing those 4 minutes anyway.

APG Mon May 09, 2011 12:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 757311)
I actually agree with you. Only happened to me twice this season in 55 HS games. But it's funny hearing everyone complain about a 2OT game and we're the only ones that drove over an hour to be there by 6:30PM.

Personally, I'm thrilled with the conferences that play 7 minute quarters in the JV games (some do around here, some don't). Those 4 minutes cut do more to keep us on schedule than anything else ever would. And if they do play OT, they're just playing those 4 minutes anyway.

I do think the better solution would be sub 8-minute quarters. I could see having JV stay at 8, but having the sophomore, and both freshmen teams playing full 8 minute quarters is kind of crazy to me if you're trying to fit all those games in on one night.

Rich Mon May 09, 2011 01:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 757308)
I don't need to check the paper to find out their first names. They all have the same first name to me, "Coach".

I don't either -- I can look in the program I grab on the way in the school.

I use first names at all levels. I give the coaches every opportunity to use my first name (and most do).

And as always, this is a regional thing.

Rich Mon May 09, 2011 01:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 757313)
I do think the better solution would be sub 8-minute quarters. I could see having JV stay at 8, but having the sophomore, and both freshmen teams playing full 8 minute quarters is kind of crazy to me if you're trying to fit all those games in on one night.

Most schools around here have 2 gyms and play the FR game(s) in the other gym. The JV game is usually the only prelim game in the main gym, and those conferences that play 7:00 quarters are the ones that usually start right about 7:30PM on most nights.

grunewar Mon May 09, 2011 01:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 757308)

Agreed. That's the way I am too. We've had this discussion before. Six of one, half a dozen of another.

Quote:

But it's funny hearing everyone complain about a 2OT game and we're the only ones that drove over an hour to be there by 6:30PM.

True dat!

Adam Mon May 09, 2011 01:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 757317)
Most schools around here have 2 gyms and play the FR game(s) in the other gym. The JV game is usually the only prelim game in the main gym, and those conferences that play 7:00 quarters are the ones that usually start right about 7:30PM on most nights.

Occasionally, early in the season, they'll have B/G sets here. F, JV, V for each. F games will start at 4:00 on each court, then JVB and VG start at 5:30 (with JV obviously on the aux court).

Camron Rust Mon May 09, 2011 06:03pm

Quote:

Personally, I'm thrilled with the conferences that play 7 minute quarters in the JV games (some do around here, some don't). Those 4 minutes cut do more to keep us on schedule than anything else ever would.

Or just schedule the games with a little more separation.

There are leagues here that schedule 4 games in a row on a court at 3:00/4:30/6:00/7:30. The last two games NEVER start on time and I've even started a 7:30 game as late as 8:30 (major injury in earlier game along with an OT). Other leagues just don't pack the schedule that tight and leave 1:45 between starting times....they rarely get backed up.

tref Tue May 10, 2011 09:07am

3pm games! I wonder who they get to do those...

We go 4:00/5:30/7:00

Getting to the gym by 6pm for a game that ends up starting at 7:30pm (after National Anthem & lineups) is the norm :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 757378)
Or just schedule the games with a little more separation.

+1

Simply pushing the V back to 7:30 would work here.