The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 06, 2011, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Help: St. Louis, MO Area Officials

Hi All ~
A good friend of mine recently relocated to St. Louis, MO and is getting into officiating. He was a high school coach for a few years and has officiated adult rec league basketball for several years and has a good understanding of the game and actually wants to get good/better and work HS games. He asked me today if he should join a local IAABO board or the St. Louis Officials Assocation. Could some of you please shed some light on this for me? He is about 33 years old and is willing to put in his time to prove his worth.

Thanks!
Old Fri May 06, 2011, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Not sure how STL works, but in CO all of our local associations are under IAABO. Cant have one without the other here.
Old Fri May 06, 2011, 02:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

I have had friends that have worked in MO and did not have to join IAABO to do so. It is probably better if someone from that area really gives that information as all IAABO chapters are different based on their association or relationship with the state association. Now St. Louis is likely different than the rural part of the state. It is probably better than someone from that area talk about the relationship with IAABO and working games.

Peace
Old Fri May 06, 2011, 02:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I have had friends that have worked in MO and did not have to join IAABO to do so. It is probably better if someone from that area really gives that information as all IAABO chapters are different based on their association or relationship with the state association. Now St. Louis is likely different than the rural part of the state. It is probably better than someone from that area talk about the relationship with IAABO and working games.

Peace
Yep. In CO, IAABO is the certifying organization for all high school basketball officials. CHSAA is intertwined with IAABO for basketball here.
Old Fri May 06, 2011, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

Mo

In MO, there is no such thing as a IAABO active, influential organization. He will need to register with MSHSAA and find the local association / comissioner. I live on the other side of the state and do not know all of the contacts there. MSHSAA can help him with names of the right people in St. Louis.
Old Fri May 06, 2011, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington View Post
Hi All ~
A good friend of mine recently relocated to St. Louis, MO and is getting into officiating. He was a high school coach for a few years and has officiated adult rec league basketball for several years and has a good understanding of the game and actually wants to get good/better and work HS games. He asked me today if he should join a local IAABO board or the St. Louis Officials Assocation. Could some of you please shed some light on this for me? He is about 33 years old and is willing to put in his time to prove his worth.

Thanks!
if you contact me (or let me know how to contact you), I can give you the name of an important officiating contact in the St. Louis-area to plug your friend into the assoc./network....
Old Sat May 07, 2011, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Iaabo

There is an IAABO Chapter in the St. Louis area, I am a member. It is one of two different "associations" of officials. There is also a SLOA (St. Louis Officials Association) of which several members cross over and belong to both. There are basically four different assignors for basketball within the St. Louis region. IAABO has one assignor for it's conferences, schools, and member base. SLOA is an association but does not have a specific assignor. There are 3 other assignors in the area. Each serves a group of schools or in some cases all or part of various conferences. You can google IAABO St. Charles or SLOA and get all the info you need.
Old Sat May 07, 2011, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydoseofLZ View Post
There is an IAABO Chapter in the St. Louis area, I am a member. It is one of two different "associations" of officials. There is also a SLOA (St. Louis Officials Association) of which several members cross over and belong to both. There are basically four different assignors for basketball within the St. Louis region. IAABO has one assignor for it's conferences, schools, and member base. SLOA is an association but does not have a specific assignor. There are 3 other assignors in the area. Each serves a group of schools or in some cases all or part of various conferences. You can google IAABO St. Charles or SLOA and get all the info you need.
dailydoseofLZ is 100% right. I am a member of both associations. If your friend wants to join IAABO then he should do this soon as the Jamboree is coming up soon and he'll need to be evaluated if he wants games.
Old Tue May 10, 2011, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys. This will help him immensely.

twocentsworth ~ I would like to get your contact information for my friend. Would you be willing to PM me with it?

Thanks!