The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Help: St. Louis, MO Area Officials (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/69123-help-st-louis-mo-area-officials.html)

Remington Fri May 06, 2011 12:30pm

Help: St. Louis, MO Area Officials

Hi All ~
A good friend of mine recently relocated to St. Louis, MO and is getting into officiating. He was a high school coach for a few years and has officiated adult rec league basketball for several years and has a good understanding of the game and actually wants to get good/better and work HS games. He asked me today if he should join a local IAABO board or the St. Louis Officials Assocation. Could some of you please shed some light on this for me? He is about 33 years old and is willing to put in his time to prove his worth.

Thanks!

tref Fri May 06, 2011 12:42pm

Not sure how STL works, but in CO all of our local associations are under IAABO. Cant have one without the other here.

JRutledge Fri May 06, 2011 02:03pm

I have had friends that have worked in MO and did not have to join IAABO to do so. It is probably better if someone from that area really gives that information as all IAABO chapters are different based on their association or relationship with the state association. Now St. Louis is likely different than the rural part of the state. It is probably better than someone from that area talk about the relationship with IAABO and working games.

Peace

Adam Fri May 06, 2011 02:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 756626)
I have had friends that have worked in MO and did not have to join IAABO to do so. It is probably better if someone from that area really gives that information as all IAABO chapters are different based on their association or relationship with the state association. Now St. Louis is likely different than the rural part of the state. It is probably better than someone from that area talk about the relationship with IAABO and working games.

Peace

Yep. In CO, IAABO is the certifying organization for all high school basketball officials. CHSAA is intertwined with IAABO for basketball here.

dbking Fri May 06, 2011 08:29pm

Mo

In MO, there is no such thing as a IAABO active, influential organization. He will need to register with MSHSAA and find the local association / comissioner. I live on the other side of the state and do not know all of the contacts there. MSHSAA can help him with names of the right people in St. Louis.

twocentsworth Fri May 06, 2011 11:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remington (Post 756602)
Hi All ~
A good friend of mine recently relocated to St. Louis, MO and is getting into officiating. He was a high school coach for a few years and has officiated adult rec league basketball for several years and has a good understanding of the game and actually wants to get good/better and work HS games. He asked me today if he should join a local IAABO board or the St. Louis Officials Assocation. Could some of you please shed some light on this for me? He is about 33 years old and is willing to put in his time to prove his worth.

Thanks!

if you contact me (or let me know how to contact you), I can give you the name of an important officiating contact in the St. Louis-area to plug your friend into the assoc./network....

dailydoseofLZ Sat May 07, 2011 09:19am

Iaabo

There is an IAABO Chapter in the St. Louis area, I am a member. It is one of two different "associations" of officials. There is also a SLOA (St. Louis Officials Association) of which several members cross over and belong to both. There are basically four different assignors for basketball within the St. Louis region. IAABO has one assignor for it's conferences, schools, and member base. SLOA is an association but does not have a specific assignor. There are 3 other assignors in the area. Each serves a group of schools or in some cases all or part of various conferences. You can google IAABO St. Charles or SLOA and get all the info you need.

ChrisSportsFan Sat May 07, 2011 08:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dailydoseofLZ (Post 756752)
There is an IAABO Chapter in the St. Louis area, I am a member. It is one of two different "associations" of officials. There is also a SLOA (St. Louis Officials Association) of which several members cross over and belong to both. There are basically four different assignors for basketball within the St. Louis region. IAABO has one assignor for it's conferences, schools, and member base. SLOA is an association but does not have a specific assignor. There are 3 other assignors in the area. Each serves a group of schools or in some cases all or part of various conferences. You can google IAABO St. Charles or SLOA and get all the info you need.

dailydoseofLZ is 100% right. I am a member of both associations. If your friend wants to join IAABO then he should do this soon as the Jamboree is coming up soon and he'll need to be evaluated if he wants games.

Remington Tue May 10, 2011 10:58am

Thanks guys. This will help him immensely.

twocentsworth ~ I would like to get your contact information for my friend. Would you be willing to PM me with it?

Thanks!