The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

A1 makes an alley-oop pass to wide open teamate A2. Defender B1 makes a play on the ball but pushes A2 out of bounds so that the pass sails wide along with them. The contact is not severe enough to be intentional or flagrant, but A2 never gets a chance to attempt a FG to finish off the play. My question is: Would you call a personal or shooting foul on B1?
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

IMO, the contact was during the attempt to catch the ball, and I would call it on the floor -- only if A-2 caught the ball and was attempting the shot or was absolutely and undoubtedly was making an attempt at a tip would I say it was shooting. I wouldn't want to assume it was an alley-oop pass -- no kid is always that accurate -- assume the pass, call the contact on the attempted catch unless you are absolutely certain there was a tip attempt.
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

If the pass goes wide, there is no way you can have a shot attempt by A2, as he doesn't have the ball.
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
I agree. In order to call this a shooting foul A2 would have to have started his usual shooting motion in order to considered to be in the act of shooting. Since the ball was not really near him, this could not be the case. Therefore score the foul and ball out of bounds on the baseline (unless the bonus is in effect).
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

And a tap starts when the ball touches the player's hand. 4-40-7
Therefore, no shot.