The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NFHS rule changes announced (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/68991-nfhs-rule-changes-announced.html)

Adam Sat May 14, 2011 09:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 758408)
Didn't need to be....it was already team control....player holding a live ball inbounds.

I agree with your point about the backcourt rules, however. If there is no change, there will be a problem. My guess is that they will be address in the case plays rather than the rule.

The difference is TC would start, on a TI, when the official starts his 5 second count (RPP, purposeful delay following a made basket). On a FT, it really only affects offensive fouls committed during an RPP situation (which I've never even heard of on a FT).

If they do, they're likely to use reasoning that doesn't make any sense. ie, "legal because player control hadn't been established inbounds." I say it wouldn't make any sense, logically, because the reasoning wouldn't be based on the actual rules, since PC inbounds isn't required for the BC violations we're discussing.

Nevadaref Sun May 15, 2011 01:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 758408)
Didn't need to be....it was already team control....player holding a live ball inbounds.

Not if the ball must be placed on the floor by the administering official, perhaps the RPP is being used.

For consistency, the committee should have handled the ball being at the disposal of a team in the same manner in all situations.

Camron Rust Sun May 15, 2011 02:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 758560)
Not if the ball must be placed on the floor by the administering official, perhaps the RPP is being used.

For consistency, the committee should have handled the ball being at the disposal of a team in the same manner in all situations.

Fair enough...for this very unusual case...one where a foul is even more unlikely than the setup itself.

In fact, if there was any foul at that point, I'd expect that it would be intentional or flagrant. Exactly how could someone be playing the ball with it setting on the floor on the FT line?

Nevadaref Sun May 15, 2011 03:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 758562)
Fair enough...for this very unusual case...one where a foul is even more unlikely than the setup itself.

In fact, if there was any foul at that point, I'd expect that it would be intentional or flagrant. Exactly how could someone be playing the ball with it setting on the floor on the FT line?

No way to disagree with that.

justacoach Mon Sep 05, 2011 05:46pm

Gone but not forgotten

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 756419)
Removing 8-7 from the rules book will eventually prove to be a huge mistake. It was greatly useful in teaching new officials how to administer the game.

I agree and can verify it has been excised from current Rules book, but it still manifests itself in Basketball Rules Fundamentals #12, pg. 73, 2011-2012 book.
Isn't that where you normally start book learning for noobs??