The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS subvaristy game last night: The ball is stolen by A1 who is penetrating down the lane from the top of the key with a 1 on 2 fastbreak with defender B1 establishing a legal guarding position at the free throw line and B2 retreating towards the opposite block. The play had got the jump on me and I needed to button hook just inside the 3 point line to get a view of the play. Next A1 dribbles the ball off his foot towards defender B2 on the opposite side of the basket and my vision follows the ball to see if it was going to go off B2. B2 avoids the ball and the ball sails OB in a matter of 2 seconds. I whistle for the out bounds and simultaneously I see B1 crashing to the ground and I can only conclude that A1 charged right threw him, but I did not actually see this. My partner was trying to come from the lead at the other end and had not made it to half court yet. What would you call here or do to improve my choices?

thanks
GTW
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

I believe I rule the ball was OOB before the contact. The ball is dead. No foul.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to joshlamerritt
Quote:
Originally posted by Troward
NFHS subvaristy game last night: The ball is stolen by A1 who is penetrating down the lane from the top of the key with a 1 on 2 fastbreak with defender B1 establishing a legal guarding position at the free throw line and B2 retreating towards the opposite block. The play had got the jump on me and I needed to button hook just inside the 3 point line to get a view of the play. Next A1 dribbles the ball off his foot towards defender B2 on the opposite side of the basket and my vision follows the ball to see if it was going to go off B2. B2 avoids the ball and the ball sails OB in a matter of 2 seconds. I whistle for the out bounds and simultaneously I see B1 crashing to the ground and I can only conclude that A1 charged right threw him, but I did not actually see this. My partner was trying to come from the lead at the other end and had not made it to half court yet. What would you call here or do to improve my choices?

thanks
GTW
Most likely I would have done just what you did, but I would have made sure my OOB call was strong and deliberate, and that I kept my eyes on the players lying on the ground to make sure nothing else happened. This would also communicate to all watching that I saw what happened, but had determined that the violation occured before the contact.

Josh
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Unfortunately this sounds like a tough situation. Lead has pass trail has crash is tough to apply here because your trail was most likely to far away to see what happened correctly. (had he he could have took it) If you didn't see the contact definately you cannot call a foul. Team B gets the ball OOB anyway so for the most part other than the coach whining about contact and A1 maybe luckily avoiding a foul, everything worked out OK. This is a tough sitch to be in in 2 person. I bet in 3 person there would have been a better look at this. Maybe that is not feasable in your area (just my plug for the superiorities of 3 person)