The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   WARNING!! Annual OT Croquet Thread 2011!! Open at Your Own Risk! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/68229-warning-annual-ot-croquet-thread-2011-open-your-own-risk.html)

Mark Padgett Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:21am

WARNING!! Annual OT Croquet Thread 2011!! Open at Your Own Risk!

HAHA - just kidding. Seriously, I did "officiate" a charity croquet match a few years ago. I was wondering if any of you guys ("guys" has become a generic term that is gender neutral) have officiated sports other than the most popular ones? I know someone who officiates water polo. She says she doesn't get much exercise, but it's very refreshing to get splashed on.

So - anyone out there work "less popular" sports? Any stories?

grunewar Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:27am

I've judged a diving meet in my day.

Not the swimmming part, just the diving portion at mid-meet - just sit there and hold up a score.

it wasn't a paying gig! :(

Multiple Sports Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:31am

Back in the day ..........................

I used to live in a summer beach town and I judged bikini contests.........does that count for anything ???????

grunewar Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:33am

Counts to me!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Multiple Sports (Post 753809)
I used to live in a summer beach town and I judged bikini contests.........does that count for anything ???????

What did the rule book and case book look like? ;)

Multiple Sports Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:39am

Case Book Play

was 38. 24. 36..............

7IronRef Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 753801)
HAHA - just kidding. Seriously, I did "officiate" a charity croquet match a few years ago. I was wondering if any of you guys ("guys" has become a generic term that is gender neutral) have officiated sports other than the most popular ones? I know someone who officiates water polo. She says she doesn't get much exercise, but it's very refreshing to get splashed on.

So - anyone out there work "less popular" sports? Any stories?

I would like to know what you all think. I currently work HS and college Donkey Basketball games.

It is really frustrating to see that my assignors always give themselves the best games.

So how does it work in the areas you live in?

Does the assignor just give the better games to the good ol' boys?

Does it help to have my own shovel, for the removal of on floor hazards?

Do you find it hard to keep your whistle in your mouth with your skoal?

Pleeze hep

MD Longhorn Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:27pm

I officiated over a kindergarten "field day" type event once. That count?

mbyron Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 753851)

Hey, me too! Egg toss, tug o' war, etc.

Welpe Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 753851)

How many of the little...angels... did you end up ejecting? :)

Mark Padgett Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:55pm

FYI - the charity croquet match was between people from a retirement home and their local Lions Club, both of which are located in the Portland suburb of King City, Oregon - a retirement community. All the proceeds went to the Lions Club camp for the blind. The match was a hoot. They all wore straw hats and had cucumber sandwiches and lemonade for lunch. Some "celebrities" were asked to participate, including a friend of mine who was our state representative at the time. He lost to an old lady in a walker! I haven't let him forget that since.

I mostly walked around with a megaphone (like I need one) and narrated the match. Every once in a while, someone would ask me for a "ruling" on whether a ball actually hit another ball, or something like that. The local newspaper covered it and they raised quite a few thousand dollars for the charity.

I wish they'd make it an annual affair.

APG Wed Apr 27, 2011 01:10pm

Nope

BillyMac Wed Apr 27, 2011 04:02pm

A Horse Is A Horse, Of Course Of Course ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 753801)
I know someone who officiates water polo?

Those horses must be really good swimmers.