The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 04, 2003, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

could you please tell me if it is a conflict of interest for a ref to be officating a high scool basketball game if he teaches at one of the schools in the game?

If so, who could I make an official complaint about this to?

Thank you so much!!

Old Sat Jan 04, 2003, 12:29pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by angelseven
could you please tell me if it is a conflict of interest for a ref to be officating a high scool basketball game if he teaches at one of the schools in the game?

Thank you so much!!

We rarely see officials working varsity games that are school employees.
But using school employees happens very often below the varsity level.
In most cases, the "conflict of interest" question is perceived, or believed, to exist by the losers.

Why do you think the official was cheating?

mick
Old Sat Jan 04, 2003, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick

Why do you think the official was cheating?
Isn't it obvious?

His/her team lost - therefore the refs must have cheated. Look it up - it's in the rulebook at 11-42-3.
Old Sat Jan 04, 2003, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thank you so much!!

Send your complaint to:

My Team Lost
ATTN: Whining Dept.
1010 Needs A Life Avenue
Loserville, USA
Old Sat Jan 04, 2003, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy It is amazing

ALL of Rule 11 talks about "conflict of interest" and losing teams can file a complaint.
Old Sun Jan 05, 2003, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

All kidding aside, there is no rule against a conflict of interest.

Is it ethical, no. Is it discouraged, yes.

But there is no one to complain to, it is just one of life's lessons.

I mean, you could send a letter to the AD, but whio do you think hired the guy?
Old Sun Jan 05, 2003, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

How about working your High School Alma Mater? I was assigned to mine for a home game (FR / JV) and when I reminded the assignor he didnt seem too worried.

I dont have children going there.

I didnt play sports there.

I havent been to a game in 10+ years

I do support their fund raisers for financial aid.

I do attend 2 or 3 football games there a year.

In the end, next time I think I'll politely decline. I just knew too many people. It didnt affect my play calling but I was concerned about future perception. Funny thing was, the visiting team thought my partner was the home grad. Uh, nope.

Anyone else out there run into this? How did you handle? Should I go where assigned or should I avoid this one next time?

Old Sun Jan 05, 2003, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
I remeber the janitor from my last high school got assigned to the high school (where he works) like at the last minute. He walked in the gym and some people were like what?? I have to tell ya that was one of the best games i've ever seen called. Incident happened where the coach was getting a little mad and called the guy by his nickname trying to talk to him while he was on trail. He just sat there and ignored the coach till he finally called him by name or official. I dont remeber I was keeping stats for the coach that game so i had a good seat for it all. It was funny
Old Sun Jan 05, 2003, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
Funny this topic should come up:
I received my schedule for the rest of the season today. In it, I saw I was assigned to work the in town rivalry game between the two city schools. I felt VERY good about getting assigned such a "big" game, but there was a small problem. My wife is the varsity girls coach at one of the schools. I will be working the JV boys game, so I do not see any conflict. I did bring it to my assignors attention, and he said he specifically put me on that game, (Head is now 5x's larger)and ask if I had a problem doing the game. I told him I could care less about the boys side of it, but just wanted to make him aware. He said thanks and that is that! Should be fun. The JV coach is also the girls Varsity coach.
Old Sun Jan 05, 2003, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
If you toss you wife the next game of hers you'll call the school will make a killing on tickets LOL
One of the guys i've worked with was telling me how he called his wifes game when they lived in Indiana. He was the hero of the town for tossing his wife (yelling at him and his partner). LOL! It was funny. he said the next time he called one of her games the stands were packed.
Old Sun Jan 05, 2003, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ace
If you toss you wife the next game of hers you'll call the school will make a killing on tickets LOL
One of the guys i've worked with was telling me how he called his wifes game when they lived in Indiana. He was the hero of the town for tossing his wife (yelling at him and his partner). LOL! It was funny. he said the next time he called one of her games the stands were packed.
Might be real fun to see, but I'd be reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally careful when I got home that night.
Old Mon Jan 06, 2003, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Might be real fun to see, but I'd be reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally careful when I got home that night.
You are wise beyond your years, Grasshopper. Especially for one who can't even get a girlfriend (at least according to your "Away" message )

Chuck
Old Mon Jan 06, 2003, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
Thankfully, I will NEVER do one of her games. I have already requested this of our assignor. Although, he said for kicks he would love to schedule that just for the fun of watching both of us go at it. (We are both rather animated people!)
Just doing to boys games is going to be interesting. I am just going to treat it like any other game, because I could really not care less who wins. I am more focused on the "nature" of the game. Like I said it is one of the two in town rivalries. I am honored to be assigned to it.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

conflict of interest

OK alright, isn't a womens' right to WHINE???

Thanks for all the responses but let's face it it is not the ethical thing to do and small towns in Texas get away with this stuff all the time! soooooooooooo there
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Re: conflict of interest

Quote:
OK alright, isn't a womens' right to WHINE???

Thanks for all the responses but let's face it it is not the ethical thing to do and small towns in Texas get away with this stuff all the time! soooooooooooo there
Have you considered that there is a huge shortage of officials in Texas and this type of thing is sometimes necessary? Perhaps you could offer your considerable tallents and start officiating!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith