The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Lane Violation? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/67975-lane-violation.html)

Raymond Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 753178)
It was an editorial clarification, not a change in the rule....which means the "rule" was always that way before but enough people didn't understand it so they "clarified" it, not changed it. The additional words make it "clear" that touching outside the spot is (and always has been) considered to be leaving the spot.

Sorta like I think the 10-second BC count should be clarified?

The free throw lane rule had a lot more verbiage but yet it needed to clarified? Imagine that. :cool:

Adam Tue Apr 26, 2011 07:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 753286)
I think that what I think doesn't matter. The NFHS explicitly stated that it was a freaking clarification of an existing rule. I know that because I posted a FED document that states that. Whether the FED is consistent with the term or not is completely irrelevant. It just is what it is. And what it is is not worth Randalizing imo. The play was always called that way afaik anyway.

Y'all carry on though. I'm going to tend to my petunias.

I'll agree that the rule was always supposed to be the same as it is now, so calling the change a clarification makes sense.

But the NFHS calling it a clarification doesn't make it so; reference the 9-1-3g. They called that a clarification, but it was a rule change plain and simple.

Adam Tue Apr 26, 2011 07:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 753354)

The free throw lane rule had a lot more verbiage but yet it needed to clarified? Imagine that. :cool:

Are you saying it needs to be clarified under the new TC rule, or that it needs it anyway?

Jurassic Referee Tue Apr 26, 2011 08:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 753404)
But the NFHS calling it a clarification doesn't make it so; reference the 9-1-3g. They called that a clarification, but it was a rule change plain and simple.

OK, Randy. :rolleyes:

If you insist it was a rule change, then even though the NFHS unequivocably stated it was only a clarification and that it has also been universally called that way for the last 50 years at least, then it absolutely has to be a rules change.

And I blame myself for even bothering to argue this kinda crap.

mbyron Tue Apr 26, 2011 08:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 753415)

Oh, you're not alone. :)

Raymond Tue Apr 26, 2011 09:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 753405)
Are you saying it needs to be clarified under the new TC rule, or that it needs it anyway?

Needed it anyway, IMO, in both rule sets.

Adam Tue Apr 26, 2011 09:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 753415)
OK, Randy. :rolleyes:

If you insist it was a rule change, then even though the NFHS unequivocably stated it was only a clarification and that it has also been universally called that way for the last 50 years at least, then it absolutely has to be a rules change.

I appreciate your indulgence, but I think you're misunderstanding me. I'm not referring to the hand in the lane rule, I agree that the rule has always been called that way. I was wrong before.

I'm referring to the change that requires at least one foot to be "near" the lane. They were "clarified" the same year, but one was clearly a change and one was clearly a clarification.

Adam Tue Apr 26, 2011 09:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 753422)
Needed it anyway, IMO, in both rule sets.

How is the current rule unclear (NFHS)?

Raymond Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 753425)
How is the current rule unclear (NFHS)?

I'm out of town on business so no access to my NFHS rule books. If you can quote me the 10-second rule I can elaborate.

Adam Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by paraphrased
A player or his team may not be in continuous control of the ball in the backcourt for 10 seconds.

Team control and BC status are required for a count.

tref Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:19am

A player or his team may not be in continuous control of the ball in the backcourt for 10 seconds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 753447)

I still believe "a player" refers to pc after the throw-in has legally ended &
"or his team" refers to any tc after pc has been established.

Call me Randy, but I just cant see beginning a 10 second count before the throw-in has legally ended.

Adam Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 753450)

I still believe "a player" refers to pc after the throw-in has legally ended &
"or his team" refers to any tc after pc has been established.

Call me Randy, but I just cant see beginning a 10 second count before the throw-in has legally ended.

Hopefully, they'll word the change to address this, but simply adding TC to the throw-in would change the rule in this regard. We can't see doing it the other way because it's a very basic thing now; 10 second count doesn't start until a player on the court establishes PC. But the only reason for that is TC is required for the count and doesn't exist on the TI.

I think "Player" is superfluous here, because PC in the BC is technically not required for a 10 BC violation.

tref Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 753455)
Hopefully, they'll word the change to address this, but simply adding TC to the throw-in would change the rule in this regard. We can't see doing it the other way because it's a very basic thing now; 10 second count doesn't start until a player on the court establishes PC. But the only reason for that is TC is required for the count and doesn't exist on the TI.

I think "Player" is superfluous here, because PC in the BC is technically not required for a 10 BC violation.

True! If it could only be the same across the board :(

College officials:
Since tc already exists on throw-ins when do you begin your count, when the ball touches the wood or when a player gains control?

Camron Rust Tue Apr 26, 2011 01:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 753354)

It only needs to be clarified for some. The rest understand it as it is. :rolleyes:

Raymond Tue Apr 26, 2011 02:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 753447)

I would like for them to actually use the phrases "Team Control" and "Back Court Status".

We can on folks all the time for not using proper terminology yet this rule fails to do so on this particular rule.

Of course this is just my opinion. YMMV.