The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 09, 2000, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I am wanting to make a shoe change for the 2000-2001 season. I have worn out my last pair of Converse Run n Ref's. I would like to get them in time for summer camp on late June to break them in. What are you all wearing and what would you recommend? I noticed in a running catalog that New Balance makes a black cross training shoe that is supposedly light in weight. Waiting for your recommendations with baited breath.
Old Tue May 09, 2000, 08:01pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

quote:
Originally posted by slow_whistle:
I am wanting to make a shoe change for the 2000-2001 season. I have worn out my last pair of Converse Run n Ref's. I would like to get them in time for summer camp on late June to break them in. What are you all wearing and what would you recommend? I noticed in a running catalog that New Balance makes a black cross training shoe that is supposedly light in weight. Waiting for your recommendations with baited breath.

I think you mean "bated" breath - "baited" breath would be awfully stinky

As to shoes - can't help you there. Up here in the northwoods of Oregon, we ref barefoot.

Old Wed May 10, 2000, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
Cool

Slow,

Check with "eReferee.com" they had some "converse runin refs" left over and on sale for they don't make them anymore. The new shoe is the "Whistle" made by converse, you can order them online and get them within a week.

Good Luck.

------------------
Don
Old Wed May 10, 2000, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

YES! The New Balance is a great shoe. I wore it this past year, they are the lightest ref shoe I have ever wore.
quote:
Originally posted by slow_whistle:

Old Wed May 10, 2000, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by slow_whistle:
What are you all wearing and what would you recommend?

I use the Spot-bilt 975. They are the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn and they have held up well.
Old Wed May 10, 2000, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Thank god they killed the run n ref. That was one of the worst shoes I have ever worn. It was a shame too, I really like their bball shoe, the run n slam.

Does anyone know the name of the new balance shoe? I might give it a try, but it is leather or nubuck? You rarely see leather x trainers, and nubuck doesn't polish very well.
Old Wed May 10, 2000, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett:
I think you mean "bated" breath - "baited" breath would be awfully stinky

As to shoes - can't help you there. Up here in the northwoods of Oregon, we ref barefoot.

Mark,
Guess the games you ref are still played on dirt floors too. Thanks for the help anyway(and free spelling lesson)!

[This message has been edited by slow_whistle (edited May 10, 2000).]
Old Wed May 10, 2000, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Does anyone know the name of the new balance shoe? I might give it a try, but it is leather or nubuck? You rarely see leather x trainers, and nubuck doesn't polish very well.[/B][/QUOTE]

Brian,
Call Road Runner Sports Customer Service at 1-800-662-8896. The New Balance shoes I believe are the 606 model in black leather. At least that is what the lady told me on the phone. Price around $55-60. Thinking about trying a pair myself. Good luck.

Old Wed May 10, 2000, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by t-bone:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by slow_whistle:
What are you all wearing and what would you recommend?

I use the Spot-bilt 975. They are the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn and they have held up well.

Any particular store chain carry the Spot-bilt 975's? Thanks for your help.

[This message has been edited by slow_whistle (edited May 10, 2000).]
Old Wed May 10, 2000, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

New Balance is the 606. I also like the AVIA okay if you can find them. The New Balance held up well and are comfortable. Never tried the Spot Bilt.
Old Wed May 10, 2000, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Slow Whistle -

I second t-bones' nomination. Spot bilt is most comfortable. I had a pair of runnin refs to begin with because it was recommended by other refs and they left blisters on my toes. There is NO COMPARISON....Spot-bilt is the best. And they are reasonably priced. You can order through refs rules book -- they have an order page somewhere in the book.

Jack

Old Fri May 12, 2000, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

My father has had a shoe store for 35 years and we were big converse fans till we tried New Balance. The 606 in black shined up great and kept it shine. They are light and hold up extrememly well. They are soft comfortable and form to your foot easily. Try them you won't be sorry.
Old Sat May 13, 2000, 02:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
Thumbs up

After my last run-and-ref's let go, I decided to try reebok's dmx walker after having very good results with their running shoes. I was very impressed with the shoe and have purchased 2 pair to get ready for next year. You can buy them at Honigs.com for about what you pay for the new run-and-refs and they have a lot more cushion in them. Happy shopping!
Old Mon May 15, 2000, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

First, let me say that nothing is too good for your feet--take care of them. Your feet are unlike anyone elses, one shoe that works for others may not work for you. Trial and error is the best.

I had some real problems with the Cons and I switched to Addidas Superstar. They come with white stripes and a partially white sole. I took the shoes to a cobbler and had the uppers dyed. I had to color the soles with permanent marker--I only color the sides, not the bottoms. It wears off every game and has to be re-colored, but it shines up beautifully and is so comfortable, that it is worth the hassle. My buddies like to give me a rash about the white bottoms, but I just smile at 'em--comfy feet are worth all the crap they dish out.
Old Wed May 17, 2000, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Kelly -

Don't be fooled by price...I have learned that just because it is more expensive doesn't mean it is better.

Kelly, your shoes sound kind of stylish. I like that. Wish we didnt have such boring uniforms. Here's a question -- will they ever go to shorts for the refs? Some of those gyms are awful hot. I think it ironic that refs for lacrosse get to wear shorts outdoors and we have to wear pants indoors. Any thoughts?