The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

I know we've talked here before about whether or not it is appropriate to talk to fans, when and how it should be done, etc.

I was going through the local paper today and found this little gem (regarding last night's UConn/CCSU men's game):

"After a goaltending call on Justin Brown, a fan near courtside voiced his disagreement, telling referee Frank Scagliatta to look at the replay. Scagliatta, without breaking stride, told the fan to look at the replay himself and if Brown had not in fact committed the goal tend he'd buy him dinner."

(PS - did anyone happen to see the play or the conversation?)
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 07:13pm
In Memoriam

I've used sign language to reply to fans a coupla times!
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
A few years ago I was working a JV game. A father in the stands loudly objected to my 5-second closely guarded call. When the ball was being put back in play a few minutes later, the throw-in spot was right in front of the father. he asked me "what is a closely guarded call?" I answered, "let me understand this...you have no idea about the rule but you are objecting to the call, is that correct?" Sheepishly he said yes. I told him to come to me after the game and I would be happy to explain the rule. he did come over, and when I explained it, he apologized. A little satisfaction is sometimes worth a lot more than the game fee!!
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 09:06pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

Davisms aren't only words, sometimes they're deeds. When you have some Brainiac yelling at you from the stands, especially the first or second row, make sure you have an inbound play right in front of them. Then, make sure you turn and blow your whistle right in their ear.

Heh, heh.
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

I have been chatting with fans for years. Especially when I worked in Indiana where in some of the gyms they are right on top of you. I found out it was MUCH harder for them to yell at me even if I screwed up because they knew me as a person and not just some stuffed shirt. I am sure that doesnt work all the time but it has gotten me a few dates too . Now granted, I do not do it during the game (while inbounding the ball etc) . During timeouts and in pre game after business is done, sure. And I never turn around and face the fans. My eyes are always on the court.
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ballsandstrikes
I am sure that doesnt work all the time but it has gotten me a few dates too .
Did you hook up any of the players?

(Sorry - couldn't resist even though I don't believe the allegations.)
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

The funny thing was I started in 1991 at age 18 and by 20 was doing varsity. I got asked for HIGH SCHOOL ID! when walking into a school this year so I guess I still do not look my age. In all honesty about 4 years ago I ran into someone I officiated when I was 21 and she was a senior both in school and at camps she played at and we went out a few times. But so many years had past and she was a senior in college at the time so nobody could say I did it as a result of officiating. We had not seen each other in several years and were both grown adults. The others were a single mom and 2 older sisters/cousins. No wonder I am still single at 29 Why give up the good life ? hehe
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 11:45pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

Quote:
I got asked for HIGH SCHOOL ID! when walking into a school this year so I guess I still do not look my age.
Yeah, this happens to me all the time, too.
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Honestly I did not know whether to be annoyed or very flattered. But when I showed the woman my ref shirt, she turned about as white as the stripes!
Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 02:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
I got asked for HIGH SCHOOL ID! when walking into a school this year so I guess I still do not look my age.
...and if you-all believe this about Padgett, I've got some land adjacent to DisneyWorld that you can buy real cheap!!

But I did get a good one off to the fans this weekend. There was one little knot of parents that were chirping pretty loud, and very ignorantly about every call that went against their little darlings. Finally, when I was inbounding the ball near them, I waited until the player was onto the floor and then I said, "You make more money if you put on the stripes and ref out here!" They all laughed, and no more complaints, so it worked.

[Edited by rainmaker on Dec 30th, 2002 at 01:54 AM]
Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 05:18am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Me,too.
Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 09:31am
Get away from me, Steve.

Smile This weekend....

....I had a nice conversation with some kids during the 20-minute observation period before a boys varsity game.

I was working as the referee and was observing the visiting team (that could dunk provided they brought out a trampoline) and some kids that had traveled for the game were sitting in the front row. One girl had taken her program and rolled it up and was using it as a noisemaker -- a pretty good one, in fact.

I glanced back and she quickly said that she wasn't going to use it during the game. I laughed and told her that she could be the band if she wanted to be. The school I was at usually has a pep band, but didn't on Saturday afternoon -- I think they went to a girls' tournament instead.

(Side story: I worked a varsity girls game at this school a few weeks ago and the band sounded great in warmups. My partner sidled over to me and said that the home team should get 10 points because of the band. The anthem was so bad, however, that I suggested they had to give five of those points back, which broke my partner up. I'm really not that cynical -- the kids tried their best, I'm sure.)

The girl with the noisemaker claimed to be motivation for the team -- as the team was sleepwalking through layup drills. I haven't laughed that hard on a court in a long time.

Later on my partner had to stop the game due to an unruly guy in the same area - the only unsportsmanlike thing I saw or heard all day. My partner was a 32-year vet who seems to know everyone here (yet is extremely professional). After my partner hit his whistle, he turned to the guy and the guy was apologizing seconds later. There's that presence thing again.

Rich
Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Re: This weekend....

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
(Side story: I worked a varsity girls game at this school a few weeks ago and the band sounded great in warmups. My partner sidled over to me and said that the home team should get 10 points because of the band. The anthem was so bad, however, that I suggested they had to give five of those points back, which broke my partner up. I'm really not that cynical -- the kids tried their best, I'm sure.)

Rich
I did a varsity game at a parochial school where the national anthem was sung by the starting five players (and they were NOT named the Jacksons), they did a nice job.

P.S. This team could have used the 10 points, and 30 more, to make the game competitive. It was evident that they spent more time practicing their singing than playing basketball.