The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   New Mechanics for Throw in and closley guarded demonstrated (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/66955-new-mechanics-throw-closley-guarded-demonstrated.html)

Larks Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:08pm

New Mechanics for Throw in and closely guarded demonstrated

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/R5aDgXJ_RnQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mark Padgett Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:15pm

I think I worked with this guy last weekend. :eek:

26 Year Gap Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 749623)

I thought you WERE that guy.;)

Mark Padgett Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 749629)
I thought you WERE that guy.;)

No. I have hair - even at my age. And I also have a beard. :)

justacoach Tue Apr 12, 2011 01:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 749623)

Sorry, I was nowhere near Oregon, haven't been there in years. Perhaps my evil twin?

tjones1 Tue Apr 12, 2011 01:36pm

Now there's a guy having fun!! :D

I like the throw-in mechanic!

tref Tue Apr 12, 2011 02:51pm

Thanks for the clip! I will implement some of these techniques into my game before extortion season -errrr- camp season begins :D

Bad Zebra Tue Apr 12, 2011 03:30pm

I posted a link to this video last month and it was taken down from Youtube. Glad it's back. This guy's a scream.

As I pointed out last time...I think he has an IAABO patch on his shirt!

Adam Tue Apr 12, 2011 03:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 749667)
As I pointed out last time...I think he has an IAABO patch on his shirt!

I was trying to ignore that aspect.

Bad Zebra Tue Apr 12, 2011 03:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 749669)
I was trying to ignore that aspect.

See, I was wondering...are those some of the IAABO mechanics that differ slightly from the FED? :p

tref Tue Apr 12, 2011 03:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 749670)
See, I was wondering...are those some of the IAABO mechanics that differ slightly from the FED? :p

LOL!

Some businesses sell the shirts with the patch already sewn on (to anybody) I'm praying this is how dude got his.

Camron Rust Tue Apr 12, 2011 04:52pm

He IS using the not closely guarded signal as one of our esteemed members recently espoused. :eek:

Adam Tue Apr 12, 2011 04:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 749723)
He IS using the not closely guarded signal as one of our esteemed members recently espoused. :eek:

I don't think he's using it "as" was espoused by that esteemed member.

Trying to decide if I like the "down-on-one-knee" approach or the "bending-over-backward" approach to that mechanic.

Camron Rust Tue Apr 12, 2011 05:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 749725)
I don't think he's using it "as" was espoused by that esteemed member.

Trying to decide if I like the "down-on-one-knee" approach or the "bending-over-backward" approach to that mechanic.

I was referring mostly to the fact that it was being used when the closest defender was in the next gym.

Adam Tue Apr 12, 2011 05:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by camron rust (Post 749728)
i was referring mostly to the fact that it was being used when the closest defender was in the next gym.

lol

Freddy Tue Apr 12, 2011 06:48pm

Wow, Wow, Wow

THIS is a good example of why checking into the forum even during the off season is always a good practice!

APG Tue Apr 12, 2011 06:56pm

Absolutely horrid...I'd be embarrassed to be his partner.

CaRef5 Tue Apr 12, 2011 07:02pm

Reeeee......

Adam Tue Apr 12, 2011 07:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 749754)
Absolutely horrid...I'd be embarrassed to be his partner.

I've had some awkward moments as a partner, but this would take the cake. I've never felt awkward with new partners, no matter how green. My awkward experience was with a "veteran" official who decided to take a minute and directly address (threaten to remove) a dad in the stands.

APG Tue Apr 12, 2011 08:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 749763)
I've had some awkward moments as a partner, but this would take the cake. I've never felt awkward with new partners, no matter how green. My awkward experience was with a "veteran" official who decided to take a minute and directly address (threaten to remove) a dad in the stands.

I've had awkward moments as well...partners addressing parents in a confrontial manner...coach and partner in a pointing match...this is way beyond awkward. It's damn near unprofessional...pretty much making a mockery of our craft with all those antics. He'd be better suited to be a rodeo clown. I don't know how any of the coaches, players, or partners take him seriously. That would be a first ballot GIGDGO-scratch candidate for me.

Rich Tue Apr 12, 2011 09:25pm

I'm mostly amused by this guy, to be honest.

Adam Tue Apr 12, 2011 09:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 749778)
I'm mostly amused by this guy, to be honest.

So am I, when he's on a video. Not real sure how I'd feel watching him from the lead position.

Rich Tue Apr 12, 2011 09:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 749779)
So am I, when he's on a video. Not real sure how I'd feel watching him from the lead position.

In a rec game? Hypothetically (since I don't work rec games) I'd probably be amused. In a varsity game? No, I wouldn't be.

Adam Tue Apr 12, 2011 09:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 749781)
In a rec game? Hypothetically (since I don't work rec games) I'd probably be amused. In a varsity game? No, I wouldn't be.

Agreed.

grunewar Wed Apr 13, 2011 04:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 749781)

I think my amusement would wear off pretty quickly though - regardless if I was on the court or just watching from the stands.

I'm not sure I mind a little flare, but unless your with the Globetrotters, this is too over the top to be consistently doing and trying to be in any way serious about the game your officiating IMO.

GoodwillRef Wed Apr 13, 2011 09:55am

I understand that this is amusing to most of us but on a professional level he is an absolute disgrace! :mad:

Mark Padgett Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:36am

If that is an IAABO patch on his jersey, it must stand for "I Am A Bozo Official". :D

http://www.bostonman.com/images/home/bozo_small.jpg

JRutledge Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodwillRef (Post 749933)
I understand that this is amusing to most of us but on a professional level he is an absolute disgrace! :mad:

It is amusing because it is way over the top. I would be embarrassed if I was on the court or if this guy was in my associations.

Peace

GoodwillRef Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 749960)
It is amusing because it is way over the top. I would be embarrassed if I was on the court or if this guy was in my associations.

Peace

Amen!

Camron Rust Wed Apr 13, 2011 01:12pm

For all we know, everyone involved (partner, coaches, players, etc) could have been in on it and the video was just made as a stunt. Not once did it appear that any of them reacted to his unusual antics. Either that, or they were so accustomed to this guy that it didn't amuse them any more.

Adam Wed Apr 13, 2011 01:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 750009)
For all we know, everyone involved (partner, coaches, players, etc) could have been in on it and the video was just made as a stunt. Not once did it appear that any of them reacted to his unusual antics. Either that, or they were so accustomed to this guy that it didn't amuse them any more.

Have to admit I noticed the same thing. No one seemed in the least bit awkward or weird about his behavior.
1. It was a stunt.
2. They are used to it.
3. They don't know any better.

#3 seems least likely given the age group of the players.

GoodwillRef Wed Apr 13, 2011 01:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 750011)
Have to admit I noticed the same thing. No one seemed in the least bit awkward or weird about his behavior.
1. It was a stunt.
2. They are used to it.
3. They don't know any better.

#3 seems least likely given the age group of the players.

This looks totally real...and the coaches and players seem very used to it. They must have seen him many times.

Mark Padgett Wed Apr 13, 2011 02:04pm

I don't think this is a stunt. I did some research based on some of the visible signs in the gym and this game appears to be at Garfield HS in Garfield NJ. The Garfield High School Boilermakers compete in the Bergen-Passaic Scholastic League (BPSL), made up of private and public high schools located in Bergen County and Passaic County NJ, so this guy must be in whatever association works that league.

Based on the appearance of the players and small number of spectators in the stands, this is probably not a varsity contest.

ref2coach Wed Apr 13, 2011 02:07pm

Did a google search for Garfield Boilermakers, the home team. The only hit I got was a HS in NJ. I was not able to read the front of the visitor's jersey. Something ...ncaster. This year's schedule did not have Garfield playing anyone with "...ncaster" in their name. At least it appears He is not from TN. :)

LOL Mark you beat Me by 3 minutes.

tjones1 Wed Apr 13, 2011 02:09pm

I might have replaced the High Stress Ref clip with this one anytime I want a laugh!

Mark Padgett Wed Apr 13, 2011 03:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ref2coach (Post 750028)
Did a google search for Garfield Boilermakers, the home team. The only hit I got was a HS in NJ. I was not able to read the front of the visitor's jersey. Something ...ncaster. This year's schedule did not have Garfield playing anyone with "...ncaster" in their name. :)

It looks like the other school is "Manchester", which is Manchester Township HS. They are not in the same conference but that doesn't mean they don't play each other. Besides, this game may have been from before this season.

tjones1 Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:11am

There's really a lot covered in this video:
  • Not Closely Guarded / Closely Guarded
  • Timeouts - 1st Horn / getting the players ready to play
  • Reporting a Player Control foul to the table
  • Not allowing subs to enter on the first of two free throws
  • Free Throws: 2 Shots & 1 Shot
  • Administering a throw-in
  • Reporting a Blocking foul to the table

jophyal Thu Apr 14, 2011 03:57pm

yes tjones, alot covered. that takes care of the "how not too's", now who can post a video of the"how to's"?

Mark Padgett Thu Apr 14, 2011 04:28pm

Did you notice he's wearing a college official's shirt. Do you think he officiates college ball? Maybe in the - wait for it - SEC? :D

Or maybe he started in SoCal and after 3 games got college assignments. ;)