The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Another .3 second situation (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/6679-another-3-second-situation.html)

williebfree Sat Dec 21, 2002 01:43pm

This occurred in the JV game I mentioned in "Where oh where is my partner?"

Home(H)is down by two, Visitors(V) have spot throw-in on endline. V Coach calls time-out with 3.8 seconds.

V1 inbounds H1 & 2 trap and have a clean reach for the ball. H1 creates a clean "held ball." I whistle with a strong signal (Thumbs up). I look at the clock, .3 second and AP for home. Home has no TO's.

I recalled the lengthy discussion we had on this issue, so I hustled over to the timer, got both coaches (partner is there too) and I quickly explain that this is a situation where ONLY A TAP can score. Hustle back to endline, benchside to administer the spot throw-in.

H1 inbounds to H2 at top of the key. H2 catches the ball while airborne and returns to the floor. My partner had a whistle before H2 hit the floor.

I felt that this situation was handle in the best way possible. I wanted to say it went smoothly because of what I picked up here in the forum.

Marty Rogers Sat Dec 21, 2002 02:07pm

It was good that the forum helped you remember that a team must score on a tap (not a try) with only .3 left on the clock. However, I would not have called a meeting to discuss/explain this to the coaches. I am not a coach, or a rules clinician to coaches/players.

Also, what whistle did your partner have before the player
landed back on the floor? Was if end of game? I hope so.

Jurassic Referee Sat Dec 21, 2002 02:25pm

I agree with Marty.Never stop the game in cases like this to explain rules.You could be giving the home coach an advantage that he normally wouldn't get.While you're explaining,an assistant coach of the home team could be setting up a play.The coaches are supposed to know these end-of-the-game rules,anyway.I would,however,give a definite headsup to my partner(s) about the time remaining,so they could judge the tap/try properly.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Dec 21st, 2002 at 01:28 PM]

williebfree Sat Dec 21, 2002 02:28pm

Marty:

Not trying to be rude, but did you read the intial post?

Also, what whistle did your partner have before the player
landed back on the floor? Was if end of game? I hope so.

"... I look at the clock, .3 second (should I have stated?, "left in the game") and AP for home. Home has no TO's." END OF GAME... yes.

The intent of my brief "clinic" was to ensure that all parties understood the situation, I would like to call it preventative officiating, to communicate this could, officially, only be a tap NOT A CATCH.

BTW: both coaches were nodding in agreement as I presented the info.

williebfree Sat Dec 21, 2002 02:31pm

Interestingly

The disagreement of how I handled this situation is contrary to the consenses of a similar posting earlier.

BigJoe Sat Dec 21, 2002 02:52pm

Williebfree,

I think Marty was right on with his post. He stated you handled the situation properly, but by warning the benches that a "tap" only is allowed with .3 seconds on the clock you were giving an advantage to the home team. It is up to the coach to recognize that fact.

Jurassic Referee Sat Dec 21, 2002 03:04pm

Re: Interestingly

Quote:

Originally posted by williebfree
The disagreement of how I handled this situation is contrary to the consenses of a similar posting earlier.
Which posting,Willy?

PS-Ain't being smart.Some people seem a little touchy to-day,and might misinterpret the kindlier,gentler JR.

Bart Tyson Sat Dec 21, 2002 04:37pm

I agree with BigJoe, JR and others, You have no business coaching the coach. If the coach were to ask you then yes, explain the rule.

Kelvin green Sun Dec 22, 2002 12:38am

If I am lead ( like I am assuming you were) and ball was about to be thrown-in, in a game like this. I will not go to the coaches and explain anything.
If I were a coach and you came over to talk to me I would start questioning why there was only .3 and should the clock have been stopped quicker. Bet I could get you to question it. How long was the trap was the jump immediate. Did it really take just 1.5 plus a second lag time? Did it take less and timer was slow? We could get into a good discussion. All the while my assistant is calling out the play and setting it up. You just gave me a timeout to set-up the play I could not have unless you stopped to come over. I took advantage of you.

If I were the coach I'd be wanting to talk to you about timing. Keep things quick! Coaches will take advantage of you!

I will talk loud enough and cmmunicate with my partner that ... .3 on clock must be tap! Now if the coach hears that's great if not I dont care.

One of my biggest pet peeves is how we slow the game down and fail to get the ball in play. We make the calls and get the ball back in play. The quicker we are the faster the next play comes, and the more likely the coaches CANT yell at us.

williebfree Sun Dec 22, 2002 09:45am

It appears I made my first mistake

Based on the feedback here, I have to admit I was in the wrong about taking the time to "inform" the coaches and timer....

GET THE BALL AND PUT IN PLAY.

Thanks to all! :)

Tom Cook Sun Dec 22, 2002 05:41pm

Willie, I have done the same thing. Explained that the "try"had to be a tip. One reason for doing so is to avoid having to make a decision as to whether the try was a "catch" or not. You also inform the defensive coach of the rule, which avoids confusion. I think that this can be done in 10 or 15 seconds which isn't very much time. I've never been around any coaches or AD's who don't appreciate good preventative officiating and your situation is a good example of it. It's a lot easier to explain the rule to the coaches before the play than after some kid catches the ball and shoots before the buzzer (coaches and fans will think so)then you run in and wave it off.

[Edited by Tom Cook on Dec 22nd, 2002 at 04:46 PM]

devdog69 Sun Dec 22, 2002 09:06pm

This is absolutely not the way to handle this. They have a rulebook and should know the rule. If you do this and some coach gets a tap to win the game, the other coach is going to be livid, rightfully claiming that you told him what to do to win the game.