The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 20, 2002, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Is the public address announcer prohibited by rule from doing "play-by-play" commentary during a game? Most announcers will limit their mike time to announcing who the foul was on, how many fouls they have and who scored the bucket, however there is one guy around here that gives live ball commentary on what everyone in the gym can already see.

Aside from using the 2-3 umbrella, I can't find anything that prohibits this. Can someone help?
Old Fri Dec 20, 2002, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
I don't believe that there is anything in the NFHS rules which would prohibit the announcer from giving a play-by-play during a game.
Old Sat Dec 21, 2002, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Just remember, if the announcer is sitting at the table, he is under the officials' jurisdiction and can be removed.

I was at a varsity high school game a few years ago where the announcer stated the foul (on the home team) and then made one of those "but I can't believe he called that" comments. He didn't do that again during the game.

Funny thing is that the same happened tonight with a school supporter sitting at the official table. Earned himself a real stern look and warning.