The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 20, 2002, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Question

I have heard of three NBA officals who are very thin and somewhat tall. Do you know what these guys names are or be able to help me get into touch with one?

I would like to both talk to one of them and watch them work.

Thanks for your help!!

My two sense!
Old Fri Dec 20, 2002, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
Why on earth would their height and weight be of any concern? I would think that their ability ad demeanor on the court would be far more important.
Old Fri Dec 20, 2002, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
Quote:
Originally posted by firedoc
Why on earth would their height and weight be of any concern? I would think that their ability ad demeanor on the court would be far more important.
The reason Denny is asking about this is because I was his evaluator last night. He did a fantastic job, but as always, I gave him some things to think about. One of those issues was that I would like to see him appear "bigger" on the court. He is tall and slender and I think by using sharp, wide mecanics, he can look more athletic and make himself more marketable.

He does a fine job, but those intangibles will help him get noticed.

Old Sat Dec 21, 2002, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

Why is it important to appear "bigger on the court". I get the sense that you by being sharper and using better mechanics on the court he will be bigger. Is that what you mean to imply?

I do not make the criteria for the "in" set but this type of thinking is unethical IMHO. If the guy is outstanding and only needs to work on looking more crisp, then leave the bigger out (if I understand you correctly) and fight for the guy. Gets back to that thread about integrety.
Old Sat Dec 21, 2002, 01:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ronald
Why is it important to appear "bigger on the court". I get the sense that you by being sharper and using better mechanics on the court he will be bigger. Is that what you mean to imply?

I do not make the criteria for the "in" set but this type of thinking is unethical IMHO. If the guy is outstanding and only needs to work on looking more crisp, then leave the bigger out (if I understand you correctly) and fight for the guy. Gets back to that thread about integrety.
This has nothing to do with integrity and ethics. Denny has pretty high aspirations and if I can give him valuable feedback that's been given to me, what's the problem? It is no secret that the successful officials in this business not only have the game to get where they want, but they also must look the part.

Denny likes and deserves honest feedback, so I give it to him. If that's wrong, then lock me away forever.

Old Sat Dec 21, 2002, 03:08am
Official Forum Member

I agree with that you are giving him honest and good feedback; however, some of the requirements to get ahead are bs IMHO.

I'd only disagree with one aspect of successful: you do not have to look somebody's part to be successful. Well, at least I do not put that aspect in being successful. I'd say Einstein was successful but sure did look dishelved in the pictures I've seen of him.
Old Sat Dec 21, 2002, 05:00am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BigDave
Quote:
Originally posted by ronald

This has nothing to do with integrity and ethics. Denny has pretty high aspirations and if I can give him valuable feedback that's been given to me, what's the problem? It is no secret that the successful officials in this business not only have the game to get where they want, but they also must look the part.

Denny likes and deserves honest feedback, so I give it to him. If that's wrong, then lock me away forever.

I'm also wondering the same things as Ronald was above. What exactly is "appearing bigger on the court" and how do you accomplish this? I'd appreciate your sharing that valuable feedback with us.
Old Sat Dec 21, 2002, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
You have to be a good official to get looked at, but you also have to look the part to get the big games. I am talking D1 and higher. I have worked with several WNBA officals on my presentation and appearance for TV. I agree that this doesn't seem fair that someone with a slower metabolism and bigger build will get in easier than someone with a higher metabolism and not able to gain a lot of weight; however, that is the way things are.

I have been told by the pac 10 and big sky evaluators and also the WNBA officials that I need to look bigger to get picked up. Several reasons:

1. You are on TV and you have to look the part.

2. You will get more respect from the coaches.

3. You will get more respect from the players.

So if you know of any of the three NBA officials, or any of the others that are on a lot (one in the SEC and one in the ACC) pls let me know. By the way, this one guy who is well respected in AZ said they all have the same "style" and see if their style would fit into my game.

Thanks again!!

My two sense!
Old Sat Dec 21, 2002, 01:28pm
In Memoriam

I still don't know how you can "look bigger" when you are officiating than you actually are.Could someone explain it to me?
Old Sat Dec 21, 2002, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
I still don't know how you can "look bigger" when you are officiating than you actually are.Could someone explain it to me?
First, this is my last post on this thread. I'll try to give some examples about "looking bigger". I don't claim to be the authority on officiating, just passing on things that I was taught. I'm sensing that some of you have a problem with me evaluating his "look". If you think that's not important in this game, I guess we just share a different philosophy.

Always stand tall. Denny has a habit of looking too relaxed at times. While he was at trail on FT attempts, he was slouching a bit. I told him that you can hustle while standing still. What I mean is just to project the image that you are on top of your game and ready for anything.

Use wide mechanics when reporting. I thought Denny could appear more confident by widening his mechanics. For example, when he reported a push, his arms were more in front of him that out to the side. It looked a little timid. Not good for an official.

Punch a hole in the roof. On fouls and violations, a nice, sharp extension of the arm is a good habit to get into. Once again, along with good voice, this enhances a confident appearance.

These are just some things I observed with Denny. I know his mentality and the importance of looking good out there. He has been to several camps, so he doesn't come to me for the everyday stuff evaluators give. He wants the anal, nit-picky things that I may see. Hope this helps.

[Edited by BigDave on Dec 21st, 2002 at 01:23 PM]

Old Sat Dec 21, 2002, 02:51pm
In Memoriam

BigDave,if you thought that I was being critical of you,then I was giving you the wrong impression somehow.I just wanted clarification of what you meant by "big",because I wasn't sure whether you were referring to the actual stature of the official,or the officiating mechanics he should be using.The explanation that you gave was logical and had some good points in it for all officials,not just guys trying to move up.

Thanks for the clarification.
Old Sat Dec 21, 2002, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
BigDave,if you thought that I was being critical of you,then I was giving you the wrong impression somehow.I just wanted clarification of what you meant by "big",because I wasn't sure whether you were referring to the actual stature of the official,or the officiating mechanics he should be using.The explanation that you gave was logical and had some good points in it for all officials,not just guys trying to move up.

Thanks for the clarification.
I knew you weren't being critical. This forum is to share and that's what I was doing.

Old Sat Dec 21, 2002, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
I still don't know how you can "look bigger" when you are officiating than you actual

I was given this same advice at camp over the summer. I stated in an earlier thread that I am 6'4" and I would think by definition EVERYTHING I do would "Be Big". SO I asked one of the evaluators (NBA official) that I had NO idea what he was talking about and I can't fix it if I don't know what is broken. (Ok I was a little frustrated at that point.) So he and another evaluator watched my next game and went almost call by call and demonstrated tons of things for me. BiGDAVE nailed most of them. A couple of others for me was to stand "square". I had a tendency to stand with one foot in front of the other. Run "erect". I was assuming they meant posture, and watching tapes, I do run sort of hunched over. And the last was "Call the situation, don't try to explain it." That comes from the teaching back ground. In listening to myself, it sounded like I was explaining the foul. (tone of voice) I needed to tell them what it was.
Perception is reality. If you have the "look" you can learn the mechanics. If you have the mechanics, you have to also work on the "look". Or in my case if you have neither, you learn to love JrHi ball. (JK) THat is why I am hitting the gym to tone up and working on the treadmill to trim some fat.
Old Sat Dec 21, 2002, 05:54pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by fletch_irwin_m
I was given this same advice at camp over the summer.
I was given approximately the same kind of advice a long,long time ago,also.They didn't call it "working big" then. They called it "officiating confidently",or something like that. It's a basic idea that's been called other things over the years,too.Everything changes.Nothing changes.
Old Sun Dec 22, 2002, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the info and tips Bigdave. I will concentrate on applying them.

I have a better understanding of what you mean and understand that to move up or get the best games you have to project a certain image. It is just my idiosyncracy to object to the image aspect when someone may call a great game. IN my small world, I'd leave that aspect out if the ref called a great game.