The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 20, 2002, 12:53am
Official Forum Member

Tonight's game(Girls' Varsity):

Early in the 4th quarter, Team A is winning in a blowout (60-32). A1 makes a defensive rebound, B1 and B2 are hustling and make legitimate attempts to tap the ball loose. A1, (Team Captain), throws a "clear out" elbow. A1 has been involved in a previous "unsporting" underbreath comment and I had given a her redirective. I viewed this act as another effort to intimidate. I whistle the elbow violation and signal the call.

BANG!

A1, team captain, goes on a prima donna verbal tirade! Loud enough for everyone in the gym to hear, "How can you make that Mother ****ing call?"

(Tweet) I think to myself, "The same way I can make this call." T-time...

(Fast forward to approximately 2 minutes remaining in the game)
Low and behold, A1 is back in the game and the first time at the defensive end, A2 commits a foul on the shooter. I administer the FT from the endline, B1 shoots and misses. A1, in the bottom block right behind me says to a teammate across the lane, "Cripes, I have footprints on my legs. Do you think I could get a call."

(Horn sounds)
I turn to her and state, "You are the captain, right? I would expect much better sportsmanship than this." The substitute comes in for A1.

Icing on the cake... A1 is given an "Atta girl" hug by the coach as she returns to the bench.

There are more variables that are involved in this equation, but I will reserve comment on those til a later date; if at all.

OK, I am done venting.

Old Fri Dec 20, 2002, 01:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
A1, team captain, goes on a prima donna verbal tirade! Loud enough for everyone in the gym to hear, "How can you make that Mother ****ing call?"
My only question is why didn't this get her tossed?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Dec 20, 2002, 02:05am
Official Forum Member

I T'd her on the elbow incident.... and felt it was the coach's decision on how to handle it from here...
Old Fri Dec 20, 2002, 02:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
Something that everyone tells me and I think even the NCAA Rule book says is inappropriate language is a Flagrant Technical....
NCAA RUle book
Appendix IV - PG 149

Dead ball - extreme unsportsmanlife (foul language in my book) slide over to ejection - automatic. I've seen coach's in situations like this. There players never do anyhting wrong.
Old Fri Dec 20, 2002, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Just my opinion, but I'd have T'd her for either of the two comments that you mention. It wouldn't matter if I'd already given her one. I don't think -- for me -- I'd be willing to let the coach deal with her. Game is better off w/o her anyway, probably. What level game was this?

chuck
Old Fri Dec 20, 2002, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Chuck: This was a girls' varsity game. But NOT of the typical variety. It is hard to explain the "atmosphere", but I will tell you that the AD was in weak position to be "game management." Team A is from a nearby reservation and the "home team" was a local parochial HS. The majority of the "fans" (approximatley 80 of the 120 in the stands) where from Team A. Based on the loud and obnoxious cheering, I would have to believe a number of them were intoxicated. None of the comments that I heard were "personal", just the usual, "Over the back", 3 seconds", "reach", etc...

Ace: You are correct, the game would have been much better without her return. Hindsight is 20-20

Additional info that dictated how I (mis)handled this situation... My Partner is a 2nd yr official. Between 3rd and 4th quarter, my partner tells me he has seen A1 get "chippy", she is "pushing to get position." He has not been having a good game and I am trying to help him get back on track. I directed him to tighten up on the play under the basket.

Fourth quarter starts, P is lead and on the first shot. I hear a whistle. I figured that he has a foul on A1, it appeared that she could have been called for a push (I had my focus on my primary, so I cannot say this with conviction.) P signals 3 sec. on A2. A1 lets out a sigh of disapproval, but moves down the court. This is where I have my "elbow" play.

Bottom line: I am still cutting my teeth in working at this level. It was a learning experience.
Old Fri Dec 20, 2002, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Bottom line: It was a learning experience.
It always is. Now you've heard it, been through it, you'll be better prepared to deal with it next time. Hey, it's what we all do. Go get 'em.

Chuck
Old Sat Dec 21, 2002, 01:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Bottom line: I am still cutting my teeth in working at this level. It was a learning experience.
Willie:

It's very comforting to hear that I'm not the only one struggling. I had two terrible games last night, but I handled them fantastic, and felt terrific. Tonight was another story entirely. Tape replaying over and over in my head, and I see your post. Thanks for reminding me, "This, too, shall pass!"