The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Coach "gives me a break"! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/665-coach-gives-me-break.html)

Mark Padgett Sun Apr 30, 2000 10:31pm

Spring league, varsity girls game - we are in the second half and team A is getting blown out. A1 passes to A2 who is near team A's bench. A2 catches ball with one foot off the floor and is off-balance. B1 barely touches her and A2 falls to the floor. I call a travel.

Coach A obviously was frustrated and protested the call. He throws his arms up and yells "where's the damn foul?" I was in an exceptionally good mood (this was my third straight blow-out of the day) and I let it slide. He requests and is granted a timeout.

As we come out of the timeout, I go to administer the inbound play to team B. Coach A is standing right there, staring at me. He says to me, "I'm going to give you a break on that travel call."

I look at him to see if he is kidding. He is not. I say to him, "Coach - first, I have no idea what you mean - second, I don't care anyway and third, I hope you feel better now."

He just stood there as we started play and didn't say another word the rest of the game, and he stood up the entire time, too.

Best part - this was Saturday. On Sunday, I was coming on for my shift when I saw him leaving the building. I found out he had been tossed.

Spring league is soooooooo much fun.

kspann Mon May 01, 2000 09:18am

I called in an AAU tournament this weekend, and had to put up with a bunch of bologna. I called a techinical foul on one of the coaches "star" players. A1 was trying to show off on a dunk, and grabbed the rim first, then tried to dunk. I called a "calm" tech. Nevertheless, the Team A coach argues, saying A1 was trying to protect himself. I say no. After the game, Team A won, coach says as I carry the ball to the scorers table, "You know where you can stick that ball, up your....." He doesn't finish the sentence. I'm trying to work on letting that go in one ear and out the other, so I do nothing, but let him be a jerk. I love this job!

------------------
Mr. Kelly Spann

Bart Tyson Mon May 01, 2000 10:00am

Too bad it wasn't a one point game. You T him up, other team shoots two and he looses.

Schmidt MJ Mon May 01, 2000 02:19pm

Excellent Bart, Excellent! I would love to see that happen sometime.

Mark Padgett Mon May 01, 2000 02:49pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Geneva">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Schmidt MJ:
Excellent Bart, Excellent! I would love to see that happen sometime.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have seen it happen, most recently at a rec venue where a technical is two shots, possession AND an automatic two points!!! I posted about this situation once before.

Unfortunately, this opportunity (at least, I think of it as an "opportunity") may go away, since the new rule revisions for next season clarify as to when the game is officially over. I haven't seen the actual verbiage, so I can't give my usual "analytical gibberish" yet, but I hope it's just a clarification, not a change.

BBALL21 Mon May 01, 2000 08:21pm

Mark - Just be careful about initiating conversations with coaches...you may to the wrong one and your career will go with it!!!

Mark Padgett Tue May 02, 2000 04:36pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Geneva">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BBALL21:
Mark - Just be careful about initiating conversations with coaches...you may to the wrong one and your career will go with it!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you think I would work in any venue where coaches have that much power? Most of them around here only walk upright because 7-11 puts the beer on the top shelf. http://www.refereeforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

doghead Thu May 04, 2000 09:17am

Mark....Too funny..I can't stop laughing at that one! Seriously though, I'm new at this and a piece of advice I received from this discussion board recently was "Show all coaches respect". It's very good advice and I will continue to adhere to it. However, "RESPECT" goes both ways. I don't really care if my career is ended (before I even really get started)...I refuse to sacrafice my character and integrity because of some disrespectful, arrogant coach! Okay, now that I've stirred up some #*%?!, come at me coaches! Tee-Hee!

jackgil Mon May 08, 2000 12:28am

Doghead -

I know Mark won't come to his own defense, so I will. From what I've heard from Mark since joining the forum, I'd say you couldn't find a better "people-oriented" person than Mark. I'd bet his sense of humor has kept some pretty tense situations in games under control. I think more of us refs should style themselves after Mark.

Jack Padgett (hee hee)