The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 06, 2011, 10:30pm
certified Hot Mom tester

NBA refs file against league

There's also a nice pic of Joey Crawford with this story.

Refs charge NBA with unfair labor practices - NBA - Yahoo! Sports
Old Thu Apr 07, 2011, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

"Those include such issues as weight and fitness restrictions, travel issues and anti-discrimination based on race, sex and union activity."

I can see the last two issues (travel and anti-discrimination) as important for the refs, but the first one I feel the NBA has a right to require fitness and possibly weight (% fat?) criteria.
Old Thu Apr 07, 2011, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post
"Those include such issues as weight and fitness restrictions, travel issues and anti-discrimination based on race, sex and union activity."

I can see the last two issues (travel and anti-discrimination) as important for the refs, but the first one I feel the NBA has a right to require fitness and possibly weight (% fat?) criteria.
Why do you feel that way? Is it a question of job performance or mere appearance? Obviously, a certain level of fitness or appearance will affect job performance; but then why not just judge based on job performance? Why have additional criteria at all?
Old Thu Apr 07, 2011, 11:51am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post
the first one I feel the NBA has a right to require fitness and possibly weight (% fat?) criteria.
You may be right, but those requirements can't just be arbitrary. The union, therefore, may feel that they should be collectively bargained in order to ensure that the requirements are reasonable to the officials affected.
Old Thu Apr 07, 2011, 12:04pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Why do you feel that way? Is it a question of job performance or mere appearance? Obviously, a certain level of fitness or appearance will affect job performance; but then why not just judge based on job performance? Why have additional criteria at all?
Let me play devil's advocate for a moment. As officials, we are a little subjective regarding NBA officials and are only interested in (and critical of) their performance. What we should remember is that the NBA is entertainment, not pure sport. Their main concern is the perception fans have of the total package. This would include fans downgrading their affection for the game based on any factor they choose, which might include thinking that officials aren't really "up to par" based on their appearance (such as being overweight). While we might think that's ridiculous, it doesn't matter. Fans can stop supporting the league through buying tickets and watching games on TV for any reason they want, including not liking the color of their team's uniforms. This is why we refer to the league as the NBE. It's an entertainment entity just like any television show or live theater performance.
Old Thu Apr 07, 2011, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

I was always under the opinion that Stern's lockout of the referees last season was a test to see what he could do when it came time to the players. It was only a matter of time before issues would be revisited with the referees themselves.