The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Over and back? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/66338-over-back.html)

Rita C Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:45pm

Over and back?

I had the following happen in a game tonight. It was just slightly out of the ordinary so I thought I would share it here.

A1 tries to pass the ball to A2. B1 bats the ball so that it hits A1 and goes into the backcourt where A1 recovers.

Call?

Rita

Adam Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:49pm

I'm assuming A1 was in the FC when he threw and tipped the ball.

yes, violation.
TC in the FC.
A1 is the last to touch before it goes into the BC.
A1 is the first to touch it after it goes into the BC.

violation.

APG Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:53pm

Four requirements for backcourt violation:

Team control
Ball gains frontcourt status
Team in control is last to touch the ball before the ball gains backcourt status
Team in control is the first to touch the ball after it gains backcourt status

Camron Rust Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 747314)

Technically, for this to be a violation, A1 need not have been in the FC when he threw the ball, just when A1 tipped the ball.

Adam Wed Apr 06, 2011 07:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 747325)
Technically, for this to be a violation, A1 need not have been in the FC when he threw the ball, just when A1 tipped the ball.

True, but that was my assumption.

stir22 Wed Apr 06, 2011 08:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 747314)

yes, violation.
TC in the FC.
A1 is the last to touch before it goes into the BC.
A1 is the first to touch it after it goes into the BC.

violation.

I'm a little confused on this one. Isn't team control lost when B1 bats the ball and it just "hits" A1? Doesn't A1 have to fully establish control to have team control again?

/thanks

Adam Wed Apr 06, 2011 09:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by stir22 (Post 747413)
I'm a little confused on this one. Isn't team control lost when B1 bats the ball and it just "hits" A1? Doesn't A1 have to fully establish control to have team control again?

/thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4-12-3
Team control continues until:
a) the ball is in flight during a try or tap for goal.
b) an opponent secures control.
c) the ball becomes dead.

Did any of these things happen in Rita's play?

Welpe Wed Apr 06, 2011 09:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by stir22 (Post 747413)

/thanks

No, team control remains with Team A until a Team B player gains possession of the ball, Team A attempts a try or the ball becomes dead. Simply tipping the ball is not enough for Team B to gain possession.

mbyron Wed Apr 06, 2011 09:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 747416)

I guess that's easier for him than just asking what causes loss of team control and having somebody else answer before he looks it up. :(

stir22 Wed Apr 06, 2011 09:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 747416)

Ahhhh...gotcha. Many thanks. It clicked as soon as I read your post.

stir22 Wed Apr 06, 2011 09:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 747418)
I guess that's easier for him than just asking what causes loss of team control and having somebody else answer before he looks it up. :(

Well, I'm at work and don't have my books with me. I thought I might try and wrap my brain around it while the original question was fresh in my mind.

Adam Wed Apr 06, 2011 09:15am

Quote:

Kinda what I figgered. I played it out in my head, and decided to skip it all. Plus, I don't know whether he has a book.

Oh, and it was a relatively short rule to type.

Rita C Wed Apr 06, 2011 06:31pm

Quote:

This is true, byron, but.....

He's asking the question that others have. It's good for discussion and sometimes these questions bring about well written answers that expand the knowledge of a given rule.

I got a lot of flak from the violating team on this one. All they saw was that it wasn't their fault that it went into backcourt.

I got the "head shake, woman doesn't know the rule" look from one of them.

Rita

mbyron Wed Apr 06, 2011 06:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rita C (Post 747551)
I got a lot of flak from the violating team on this one. All they saw was that it wasn't their fault that it went into backcourt.

I got the "head shake, woman doesn't know the rule" look from one of them.

We've all gotten flak on this call, because we're the only ones who know the rule.

I T'd up a varsity coach years ago during a JV game because, after I explained the call briefly to him and ran down to the other end of the court, he hollered "learn the rule!" at me. :shrug:

tref Wed Apr 06, 2011 06:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 747558)
We've all gotten flak on this call, because we're the only ones who know the rule.

I T'd up a varsity coach years ago during a JV game because, after I explained the call briefly to him and ran down to the other end of the court, he hollered "learn the rule!" at me. :shrug:

You Td up the JV bench or did you get him in the V game that followed?